Exit

Direct selection tool will not select points

Participant ,
Jun 25, 2017 Jun 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

First posting here, so I hope it works.

I have drawn a square in InDesign, and want to select one of the corner points to distort it. I assumed the direct selection tool would do this, but it is completely unable to select any of the points. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jun 25, 2017 Jun 25, 2017

Your rectangle shouldn't be selected in 'normal' way (with Selection tool). Use Direct Selection tool on a figure that is not selected (or selected with Direct Selection tool).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your rectangle shouldn't be selected in 'normal' way (with Selection tool). Use Direct Selection tool on a figure that is not selected (or selected with Direct Selection tool).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

winterm's answer is correct. To clarify further, if all of the anchor points are selected – – or solid – – then the direct selection tool won't work as you are expecting it to. Deselect first and then come back with your direct selection tool and get just the one anchor point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You,

They say, picture tells a story...

rectangle.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great minds think alike.

Slower minds spend time finessing screen shots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarbBinder  wrote

spend time finessing screen shots.

... which are nice and clear, as usual

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They key to using the direct selection tool is knowing that the anchor points have two states: selected (solid) and deflected (hollow).

If you have a shape selected with the Selection tool, and then switch to the Direct Selection tool, all four anchors (on a rectangle) are selected. If you move one they all move.

InDesign CCss_021.png

Click away from the shape and then just clickon one anchor to move it. See how the other three are hollow/unselected?
InDesign CCss_022.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the Direct Selection tool is working normally you should be able to simply click on any point of a drawn object and select it. If the entire shape is selected first with the regular selection tool then it won't work. If you've clicked on an unselected object with the direct selection tool then all of the points of that object should appear hollow and clicking on any of those will turn that point solid. If this is not working then you may need to delete your InDesign preference file. To do this on a Mac close InDesign and open a Finder window in column view click on your Home folder and with the option key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go menu. Then follow the screen shot below and delete the two files that are highlighted:

DELETE PREFS.png

To delete the preferences on a PC launch Indesign with Alt-Crtl-Shift pressed.

Once the preferences are deleted any corruption, if it exists, should be gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry Bill,

For some reason I had no notifications to this post and thought it ignored. I've just tried what you suggested and it works. It's a strange anomaly in behaviour and I'm not sure why it was authored that way. I got it working periodically, and now I know why - I'd gone straight in with the Direct Selection tool by chance.

Thanks so much, and to Winterm and BarbBinder too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Better late than never. Happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are always happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Steve+Fermor  wrote

For some reason I had no notifications to this post and thought it ignored.

Here is the direct link to your post with all of the responses:

Direct selection tool will not select points

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines