Exit

Different margins on master page

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am a little stuck

I set the margins for a document under layout > margins and columns and I am just finishing a doc and applied a master to a page and noticed the margins moved.

I can't see anywhere a different setting for the master page - I tried highlighting the master page in the pages panel and returning to layout > margins and columns but the values are the same

So, is layout > margins and columns to set margins for the whole document or to a specific page?

Is there another setting somewhere I haven't looked?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 25, 2017 Jun 25, 2017

yet the margins settings for master pages doesn't have inside, it has left and right.  The settings for pages have inside and outside.

Sounds like you set the document up with Facing Pages unchecked and later went to Document Setup and checked Facing Pages–if you do that the pages become facing, but the masters remain as single pages:

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 9.51.51 AM.png

If you open the master's Master Options dialog you can change the number of pages and create a spread

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 9.47.32 AM.png

Now you should have Inside and Outside margins for the master sp

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, is layout > margins and columns to set margins for the whole document or to a specific page?

Margins are page specific. When you initially setup a document the margins you set in the New Document dialog are applied to all of the pages and master pages. To change a master page's or page's margins select the pages in the Pages panel before choosing Layout>Margins and Columns

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried highlighting the master page in the pages panel and returning to layout > margins and columns but the values are the same

You have to pay close attention to the Pages panel when you use it to change pages. My tip is to double click the name A-Master (or B-Master or whatever you called it) to navigate to the master pages. The result in the the Pages panel is that there is highlighting behind the name and on the pages (Left image). This is different from single-clicking on A-Master, which leaves you on the pages you were on, and you just think you are on the a master. (Right image).

InDesign CCss_013.pngInDesign CCss_014.png

Set the margins using Layout > Margins & Columns on the master, and then apply that master to the body pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2017 Jun 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks BarbBinder

Ah yes I wasn't selecting it quite properly.

Although now I use the double click and can see I am really on A Master, the margins are still the same as the page I am applying the master to, yet the margin definitely moves in when I apply the master

I checked document presets and all 4 margins are set to 3p0 (even though I have set mm as standard)  Maybe this is causing something because my margins should be 13mm for all sides except inside which is 16mm.  I can't work out what 3p0 equates to

Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I think I can see where I am going wrong but still not quite right.

I have A master for my left pages and B master for my right pages.  My slighter larger margin of 16mm needs to be on the inside of the book, yet the margins settings for master pages doesn't have inside, it has left and right.  The settings for pages have inside and outside.

So, I have set A master to have a right margin or 16

and B master to have a left margin of 16

Thought I had cracked it.

Added two new pages and applied the A master to the left and the B master to the right

B page (right side page) is great, 16mm on inside, left side

The A page (left side page) has the 16mm in the outside box in settings yet actually it applies this to the right side edge. So I thought I mixed up the terminology but when I increase the outside setting...it increases the left side!

I am so confused. Does anyone know what I am talking about?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yet the margins settings for master pages doesn't have inside, it has left and right.  The settings for pages have inside and outside.

Sounds like you set the document up with Facing Pages unchecked and later went to Document Setup and checked Facing Pages–if you do that the pages become facing, but the masters remain as single pages:

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 9.51.51 AM.png

If you open the master's Master Options dialog you can change the number of pages and create a spread

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 9.47.32 AM.png

Now you should have Inside and Outside margins for the master spread

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 9.49.26 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob, spot on and stopped me going crazy!

Not all my spreads are the same but I guess I just make a number of master spreads in the combinations I need

Thanks for taking the time to explain to me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also have to consider page overrides. The margins are like any other master page item—if you change a page's margins, that page's margins will no longer respond to a change from the master page.

So here I changed my A Master to two columns with 1" margins:

Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 2.18.51 PM.png

But pages 2-3 don't respond because I changed those pages to 2" margins with one column earlier from the pages not the masters.

Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 2.19.17 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob

Can you explain further because I don't get the same result. If I change  pages to 2" margins with one column earlier from the pages then change the master to two columns all the pages change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain further

A master's margins work the same way as a master's page items.

So here all of the pages are linked to the A-Master, which has .5" margins and a master page item on each page:

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 9.22.09 AM.png

I override the two master page items on the 4-5 spread, moved their position, and change the spread's inside margins to 2" (the 4-5 spread is selected in the pages panel, so the margin change is only applied to those pages).

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 9.23.48 AM.png

If I go back to the A-Master, move the two page items to another position, and change the spread's outside margins; you can see all of the pages except for the 4-5 spread respond to the change. 4-5's margins and page items don't change because they were overridden and moved.

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 9.25.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 9.25.43 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines