• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photomerge results a single photo while not merging the other 9.

Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used photomerge a lot but it is not working now.

I add 10 photos with tons of overlap AND I have tried merging previous sets of photos that already worked, so the problem does not lay in the input photos.

Everything works as it should except the result is the first photo of the set while not merging the other 9. in other words, it does not merge ANY of the photos, nor are they any errors.

I have checked all the input options and nothing matters. the program is broken.

thanks

Steve

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the set of photos?

Supply pertinent information for quicker answers

• The more information you supply about your situation, the better equipped other community members will be to answer. Consider including the following in your question:
  • Adobe product and version number
  • Operating system and version number
  • The full text of any error message(s)
  • What you were doing when the problem occurred
  • Screenshots of the problem
  • Computer hardware, such as CPU; GPU; amount of RAM; etc.
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

information:

photoshop cc 2017. latest update

windows 7 professional

there are no errors of any kind in the entire process

i have 250 gigs of free disk space, it is a new dell 7710 with 64 gig of ram. 4 k monitor with high end graphics card

photoshop is currently allocated 41 gigs of ram

startup scratch disk is 250 gigs in size

I have reset preferences and rebooted to no solution

here i select four jpg files and click ok just like i have dont hundreds of times before

there is a lot of overlap and i create panos often and know how to do it

the result seen below shows only two layers: a layer of the last photo and a layer called "photomerge" with no information, just a blank canvas.

the image (layer 1) is the last image in the list.

if i load 10 images, layer 1 is image 10

if i load 15 images, layer 1 is image 15

it is always the last image but no merging occurs.

as you can see only one of the four photos was loaded with a blank "photomerge" layer

In the past it would show all four photos loaded as layers and it would display the final merged image

It is not working at all . no merging is taking place. this is something new and unexpected because it has worked well for me over 30 times  with my current system until very recently.

thanks

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here are the four photos

maqatir bryant 2017 299.JPG

maqatir bryant 2017 302.JPGmaqatir bryant 2017 301.JPGmaqatir bryant 2017 300.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

these photos are of the Late Bronze Wall dating to 3400 years ago 1406 BC of the city of Ai, second conquest city of Joshua and were newly discovered in the last year.

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve have you tried resetting all Photoshop Tools and your User ID Photoshop Preferences.  Photomerge stitch them but thet wasl a lot of distorsion. So I tool a look at the source image you posted.  The first one was a full size image from your camera withe metadata. the other the were scale down image stript of metadata.  The Images were also not taken carefully to be stitched.  Your camera was in auto-program mode. Ant the camera was not rotated well.   If you want to stitch images the should be carefully taken. Your  camera should be in Full Manual Mode all images should with exactly the same caners setting tithing should be change between shots focus white balance focal length etc should be the same.  If the are close objects that will be in the image it is very important that the camera be on a tripod and the camera rotation should be around the lens node point. I find when the are no close object hand held image will stitch well if the camera position does not move you make a point on the ground and rotate about the point keeping the camera level.  I resized the the camera in file and restitched  the image was better.  You should stitch full size image with EXIF metadata intact. Stitching software to make adjustments to the images.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JJMack for your answer.

I understand that the photos I supplied may not have been the best examples. I have over 300 photos and about 12 panos to compose for archeological purposes. I am one of the dig photographers.

I have reset the preferences etc, even downloaded an updated version of photoshop today hoping that would fix it. but it is still not working.

It simply will not merge the photos, no matter how bad they are. I just want it working like it was before.

I am on the $50 per month subscription. does this investment not get me some actual direct phone support?

blessings to you JJMack

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2017 Jun 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least in your example the first image is i'm guessing is the default size and the other three are substantially smaller in terms of pixel dimensions.

If all the images are the same size then you should get a stitch more like below, but using a sorta manual alignment instead of photomerge. I used File>Scripts>Load files into Stack, then select all layers, go to Edit>Auto-align Layers>Reposition, then move the left most layer to align better and finally select all layers and Edit>Auto Blend Layers>Panorama and seamless Tones and Colors.

The old Interactive mode in the panorama dialog worked really well for these kind of images, but alas adobe got rid of it.

pan.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if going to Edit>Preferences>General in photoshop, unchecking Show Start, Show Recent, Show Messages and restarting photoshop makes any difference in the way photomerge works.

pref.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I tried that but no difference

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try contacting Adobe customer support.  This is a user forum site most user here do not work for Adobe. Adobe support may advise you to check in here but we are not Adobe support we just help each other out.  Adobe does fund this site so we can help each other. That is why the Adobe Logo is on this site. Most users Pay for the subscription.  I only pay $10 a month for my wife's subscription.  Adobe gifts some user here a CC subscription to encourage and reward us for participation here as much as we do.  Like my wife I only use Photoshop you will only see me here and in the Photoshop scripting forum.

With a CC subscription you can install and use previous version of Photoshop.  I mostly use CC 2014,  CC 2017 has too many issues for me.   However I do not seem to have a  problem in CC 2017 Photomerge.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As JJ said. I'm surprised these would stitch at all. There may be a ton of overlap, but there is also a ton of parallax error.

You really need to shoot this carefully. Use a tripod, and rotate the camera around the optical center of the lens. There are simple rails to use for this, which will allow you to shift the camera relative to the rotation point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agreed, but criticising the photographer misses the point that photomerge wont merge them at all. I have hundreds of photos to merge, these may be a bad example. Perhaps the photographer is broken, but that is not the problem, another was able to stitch them, even if the output was bad. the program is not working at all for me. and there is no reason for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The stitching problem seem to be confined to your machine it may be an installation issue.

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for helping. I actually total uninstalled photoshop and rebooted the reinstalled photoshop and it made no difference.

It was working up to three weeks ago and it worked flawlessly 25 times before it quit.

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use Adobe's cleaner?

Un-installing does not remove your preferences and installing doe not install new or reset you preference for example.  Did you use Adobe's cleaner?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, and I did it a second time just to make sure. it said successful, then I reinstalled photoshop 2017 but photomerge continues to perform exactly the same way.

thanks for all your hard work. I so want to say CORRECT ANSWER and give you credit for good work but no solution yet.

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines