• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

creating a white underbase

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2017 Jun 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how can i create a white under base? are there any tutorials that would simplify this problem? or am i using the incorrect software? please help. thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 25, 2017 Jun 25, 2017

If the lettering is a font or vectors, then ideally this would be done in illustration or page layout software, using a white spot colour with the white objects set to overprint and stacked or layered above the original art.

However, if this must be done in Photoshop, then as per my original post you will need to create a spot channel for the white (no need to overprint, Photoshop spot channels behave opposite to all other software and they overprint by default, you have to go out of your way to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Search for how to create a spot channel in Photoshop (I am presuming that is the route to creating a white under base).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but you can create a new Layer in the

Layers panel and fill it with white. If you also have a background Layer with say an image on it, you can click on the background Layer (in the Layers panel) to convert it into a normal layer,  you can then drag the new white layer (in the Layers panel) under the image layer. That would give you a white layer underbase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am screen printing and would like to paint blue lettering on a red shirt. i will need a white under base to bring out the blue color otherwise the blue comes out black. i will supposedly need to make to separate screens. one for the original image and one for the choked under base. i just can't figure out how to create the under base part in photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am screen printing and i would like to paint blue lettering on a red shirt. i will need a white under base to bring out the blue color otherwise the blue comes out black. i will supposedly need to make to separate screens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the lettering is a font or vectors, then ideally this would be done in illustration or page layout software, using a white spot colour with the white objects set to overprint and stacked or layered above the original art.

However, if this must be done in Photoshop, then as per my original post you will need to create a spot channel for the white (no need to overprint, Photoshop spot channels behave opposite to all other software and they overprint by default, you have to go out of your way to create a knockout).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Stephen. i will try this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a problem, I guessed that you were in screen printing when you used the term “white underbase”…

More on spot channels here:

Print with spot colors from Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So to create the white underbase.

Duplicate all your other layers into a group then merge them.  Use the Magic Wand tool to select the empty area.  Then click Select>Similiar.  Then choose Select>Inverse.  Then Edit>Fill and choose white.... click ok.

Move this layer to the bottom of your layers.

And there you have your white base layer that matches the exact shape of your other layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines