• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a nice CV/Resume using InDesign (from Adobe Gen Pro)!

Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that many of you will find this interesting and even beneficial.

Not to long ago I was an instructor on the Adobe Generation Professional course entitled Digital Me.  In this course we discussed how to promote and market one's self.

A important part of doing this is creating a CV/Resume.  There are many ways to do this, in this lecture I do a live demo of how one can create a CV/Resume using Adobe InDesign.

The entire class is an hour, but my live demo starts around the 29 minute point.  I think some of you will find this interesting and unique.... as I feel ever creative professional wants to learn how to create a great CV.

Adobe Generation Professional_Class Digi me (Euro)

With that being said, if you use my idea or find a template online... always make the design unique.  Hiring Managers and Human Resource people see CVs/Resumes on a daily basis... so they know when they see a cookie cutter template.  So if you ever use a template or an idea that you find online... tweak it to make it more unique and personal.  Do not use the template exactly.... be creative with it.

If you want to see more of my lectures from Adobe Generation Professional go to the following link and look for the Online Courses and Lectures section.

Kenneth Shinabery

Message was edited by: Mod (Discussion successfully moved from The Lounge to InDesign)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kenn, this will be useful to a lot of us in the job market.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm old and retired now but, in the past I probably received 20 CVs a week...rising to hundreds if we actually advertised.

I'd just like to comment that, while making it look nice is a good idea, please don't let style get in the way of the information.  it's a sad fact that most CVs get about 30 seconds attention at first--just a quick look at education and experience.  If these two vital things look good, the CV might get a more detailed read or at least put in the "possible interview" pile.

Ideally the CV should be no more than 2 pages long, with your contact details, education and experience on the first page and the second page being references (with a possible extension of experience as needed).  On the experience, keep it short and relevant.  Your summer job stacking cases of toilet paper 15 years ago (and yes, I did do that to help pay for university) isn't very important if you applying for a senior graphic designer job.  Even on the "good" experience, When, Job Title, Company name and a sentence or two of your responsibilities is enough.

Sorry to divert a topic on making your CV look good!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines