Exit

Missing chapters from the TOC list.

Participant ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am scratching my head over this one.

I have created a book with several chapters.

Set up Paragraphs Styles and Character Styles to all of the chapters the same way and added them to the book. (as i have done this several times before with different documents)

Set up TOC and ticked Include Book Documents.

The two first chapters are missing from the TOC list.

I have updated all numbering, redone paragraph and character styles in each chapter, detach and attach files to the book again, I have started the TOC file once again from the scratch ...

Still there is no chapter 1 and 2  in TOC list.

It is probably something as simple as a tick somewhere(?)

I would appreciate any help?

Thx

KamilaTOC Q.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

I've had a look Kamila.

It appears that in some of the source documents the chapter heading styles are grouped together in a styles group called CPT and some aren't. When you're generating the TOC, InDesign sees them as different styles (ie, the styles within the group CPT are not being brought into your TOC).

So the solution is to remove your chapter 1 and 2 paragraph styles from the group CPT in the source documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the first test, try generating a TOC on the pasteboard of one of the chapters. What happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding to my q.

The TOC on individual chapters spearing fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting with the most obvious (which you said you did but we have to check): in the first two chapters, are you using the same tag names:

• Main Page Title
  • Sub Titles 1.1

Same spelling, same case, no invisible trailing space at the end of tags?

What if you pull those two chapters out of the book, save and update the TOC, and then add them back in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reply.

I have checked the spellings and spacing but where can i check tags?

I pulled out chapters out from the book, update the TOC and pulled them back in and no luck, still the same issue, however, when i updated the TOC the numbering has changed, as you would have expect it. Original TOC chapter 3 started from page 17 where the one without Chapter 1 and 2 started from page 5.(does that help at all)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are all the character styles for?

Can you show us what the Styles are like in Chapter 1?

Even better, can you share the working files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry for late reply...

I use character styles in a book to create a Table of Content which is separate file added to the book and bring all the colour coded chapters titles into a TOC.

The TOC has text is of one size 10pt, where the headings of chapter files are larger 32pt size.

I wanted the main chapter files names appear the same size as TOC (10pt) so I created a character style to achieve that.  See attached.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Characters styles .jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kamila,

a few obvious things to check:

1) Are your chapter 1 and 2 styles on hidden layers ? Also, double check they have the styles applied correctly in the source documents.

2) Can you generate a brand new TOC in a separate text frame, with just [Basic Paragraph] as the TOC style? Does that reinstate the missing chapters?

3) Is your text frame where chapter 3 onwards appears threaded? Maybe there's a previous threaded frame, somewhere on the pasteboard, that's got your chapter 1 and 2 on it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for responding to my question.

1. Chapter 1 and 2 are on visible layers.

2. There is no additional threading, no text frame elsewhere on the pasteboard.

3. I have tried to create new TOC and it does not help. The TOC starts from Chapter 3 with basic formatting. I have noticed that the new TOC did not bring Character Style for Chapter 1 and 2, so I assume there might be wrong setup in Chapter 1 and 2 itself(?)...(which i have checked and it seemed to be fine)....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have noticed that the new TOC did not bring Character Style for Chapter 1 and 2, so I assume there might be wrong setup in Chapter 1 and 2 itself(?)

You can import the Paragraph and Character styles from one file to another. Working on a copy of the files:

1. Open chapter 1.
  2. Paragraph Styles panel menu > Load All Text Styles > pick chapter 3.
    InDesign CCss_024.png

3. Decide which styles you want to import—I'd check the ones that impact the TOC and uncheck the others for now.
  4. Try to update the TOC again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that tip but still no luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you feeling about sharing access to the book? You could upload it to dropbox and then post a link here (public) or a right click my name and private message it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Unfortunately I and not able to share the document but I will try to send a copy of book with first 3 chapters with placeholder text and TOC. Would that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Just need a page or 2 with the heads assigned. Generate the TOC, then Package the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i will do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropbox - Public

Let me know if you have received , thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a look Kamila.

It appears that in some of the source documents the chapter heading styles are grouped together in a styles group called CPT and some aren't. When you're generating the TOC, InDesign sees them as different styles (ie, the styles within the group CPT are not being brought into your TOC).

So the solution is to remove your chapter 1 and 2 paragraph styles from the group CPT in the source documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much it does work perfectly now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kamila,

could you share a couple of documents with us? Maybe chapter 2 and chapter 3, so we can see one that's working and one that isn't.

If there's client-sensitive material on there, make a copy of each and remove all the content bar the chapter titles - I think it's a good bet that the error is with the styles applied there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i will do that, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I had to run into a meeting, Kamila, but the previous answer is right on the money. When I copied the working head from chp 3 to php 1 it produced a duplicate Main Page Title tag.

InDesign CCss_025.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Jane this is marvelous It works fine now thank you so much for help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines