• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a pdf in indesign with pages that have an opacity

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm trying to create an interactive pdf that has pages that mimic tracing paper. Where the page with text has an opacity of about 85% so see through so you can see the page underneath to a certain degree that has an image.

I've tried on pages that have text to adjust the 'fill' and lower the opacity but once it's a pdf file or even a .swf it reverts to being a consolidated page with no opacity.

Is it even possible?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

It's just not how PDFs work. Similarly, if you don't provide a white backdrop to a page, you won't be expecting a PDF renderer to show the innards of your monitor or the program that is running below it on your desktop (although I recall this has been 'requested' at least once).

You can fake it, though. Copy the next page and place it at a layer under the current page. Set its opacity to something very (very, very) low. It goes without saying this will essentially grow your PDF file size with 100

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you are doing this as an interactive pdf you might be able to achieve the effect that it sounds like you're looking for by creating a multi-state object using the Object States Panel. It can be set up with states that mimic the transparency and include "invisible" buttons that can be used to go from state to state. Check out Lynda.com for more info on using Object States.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multi state objects do not work with PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can if you save the InDesign file first as a swf and then import that into the InDesign file then make the interactive pdf. It is a little cumbersome but it does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd say that that's also a bad idea. SWF is a dying technology. It's not supported on mobile devices and many people are disabling Flash support on their computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was only suggesting it as a possible workaround. Also the swf file would only be used to help create the interactive pdf. I have done this in the past with really good results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was a good idea 10 years ago. Today, it’s a fool’s errand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just not how PDFs work. Similarly, if you don't provide a white backdrop to a page, you won't be expecting a PDF renderer to show the innards of your monitor or the program that is running below it on your desktop (although I recall this has been 'requested' at least once).

You can fake it, though. Copy the next page and place it at a layer under the current page. Set its opacity to something very (very, very) low. It goes without saying this will essentially grow your PDF file size with 100% and most likely will interfere with text selection and searching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can, but you must use layers as pages: each "page" must be a separated layer (on the same page).

Once exported to PDF (1.6 or 1.7), use Acrobat Pro to add navigation buttons that "Show/hide layers" (since this action is not available in InDesign).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See reply one. I am sticking with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks... I'll use your suggestion as a last resort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im not sure in i understand correctly  but i think you can solve this directly in Acrobat pro, if you go to edit pdf you can add a background  image to any page in the pdf, you can control de opacity of this background as well as the position and rotation, probably this way you can simulate the effect you are looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i think you can solve this directly in Acrobat pro,

You are right but it is more flexible to do it with InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines