• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where can I find/download Adobe's XYZ .icc profile?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

See below for a description of the color profile issue I'm having.  This may be an obvious question but I searched extensively and couldn't find an answer.  I am definitely still a noob when it comes to color management.  Thanks in advance for any help!

• I'm trying to create a solid-colored 32-bit TIFF file in a non-Adobe software package (Imagemagick) that will later get composited with a Photoshop-created TIFF
  • The PS-created TIFF has an "XYZ Profile" (see image below) but I'm having trouble finding a matching .icc file to assign to my Imagemagick-created TIFF
  • The closest I've been able to find is the "D50 XYZ Profile" I downloaded here
  • Though the D50 XYZ profile is very close, I'm still seeing a noticeable difference in color representation when I compare the same 32-bit RGB value across these two profiles
  • I'd like to be able to just assign the Adobe XYZ profile to my Imagemagick-created TIFF but I'm not sure where to find that .icc file
  • So far I looked in the following places but I didn't see anything called "xyz profile":
    • The Windows folder on my local drive where ICC profiles are saved
    • Within the Adobe folder on my local drive where PS is installed
    • On Adobe's website here
  • For reference, this is the profile I'm looking to assign or replicate:

PS-message.jpg

Best,

Nate

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

So the answer was pretty obvious...but like I said I'm a noob.  I hadn't realized it was possible to just extract an icc profile from an existing image.  A number of software can do it, I used Imagemagick (see thread below for details).  When I applied the extracted profile to my IM-created TIFF, I was able to perfectly reproduce the color.

http://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-server/viewtopic.php?t=17737

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this thread. XYZ Colorspace conversion Photoshop CS2  You might want CIE XYZ not Adobe.

I really don't know anything about or use this color space technology, but I can at least try to get you somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks gener but I think the link I provided is the link to the CIE XYZ profiles (see link below).  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though. 

XYZ profiles

Like I said, of the icc's downloadable on that site the D50 version gives the closest match to PS but it's not perfect.  The reason I think the profile I'm after is an Adobe proprietary one is because I found an Adobe copyright embedded in the the PS-created image's color profile information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XYZ is one of the two native spaces of ICC profiles. So an XYZ profile is hardly a profile at all, it's just a "do nothing" profile with some headers. I mention this because, if I was programming an app that needed to embed an XYZ profile, I'd just make one in memory: no need for an external file to exist.

No idea why Adobe would use XYZ for 32-bit images unless you converted it that way. XYZ is _not_ a kind of RGB, and so this is not going to contain RGB values, but some conversion of them. You'd have to match the conversion, not the RGB values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, from some study I think I understand that a 32-bit ("HDR") image doesn't have an RGB colour space, so there are none of the problems associated with saving with a different space. It uses a fixed space which can show every possible colour, including those outside any RGB gamut (and many imaginary colours, which I don't really understand). So, while you enter RGB values into Photoshop for a 32-bit image, they are immediately converted from the working space to XYZ; the numbers you type are never stored.

So, unless ImageMagick does the same thing, you need to specify XYZ values, not RGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks this definitely gives me more to noodle on.  Just to give some more background, I've created two TIFF files that illustrate what I'm seeing (one PS-created and one IM-created).  They are both 1x1 pixel 32-bit TIFFs but if you open them in Photoshop (and zoom in) you will see the color representation is slightly different.

Solid_Green_PS.tif

Solid_Green_IM.tif

Solid_Green_PS.tif (PS-Created)

• FYI, this is the option that is checked by default when saving a TIF in PS:

SaveOption.jpg

• This is what the color picker looks like in PS for this image:

ColorPickerPS.jpg

Solid_Green_IM.tif (IM-Created)

• This is what the colorpicker looks like for the IM-created image with D50 XYZ profile, you can see the values are identical to the PS-created one:

ColorPickerIM.jpg

The only difference I can find between these two TIFF's are their color profiles.  When I look at the embedded icc information for each image the PS-created one has the following:

icc:copyright: Copyright 2017 Adobe Systems Incorporated

icc:description: XYZ Profile

icc:manufacturer: XYZ Profile

icc:model: XYZ Profile

Versus the IM-created file, which shows the D50 XYZ Profile I assigned:

icc:copyright: Copyright Hewlett Packard, 2006

icc:description: D50 XYZ profile

icc:manufacturer: D50 XYZ profile

icc:model: D50 XYZ profile

So I guess my question is still the same as the OP, where do I find the Adobe XYZ .icc file that is assigned to the PS-created image so I can assign it to my IM-created image and make them perfectly match?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So the answer was pretty obvious...but like I said I'm a noob.  I hadn't realized it was possible to just extract an icc profile from an existing image.  A number of software can do it, I used Imagemagick (see thread below for details).  When I applied the extracted profile to my IM-created TIFF, I was able to perfectly reproduce the color.

http://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-server/viewtopic.php?t=17737

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines