Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will two PDF/a merged documents continue to be searchable

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone and thank you for any help.

If I merge two PDF/a documents the final document is not searchable.  Is this intended behavior?  Both documents are searchable before being merged.  We are using Adobe Acrobat XI (ver. 11.0.09) on a Windows 10 notebook.  My online search efforts unfortunately did not produce anything usable.  Thanks again for any input.

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Hi Chrisp,

I failed to understand why are you merging two PDF/a documents? Ideally, we shouldn't be doing that PDF/a format mean archived documents. If the document is saved already with that feature you will are losing it.  It is better to use PortFolio feature to combine those together.

How can you best make PDF/A files text searchable?

If a PDF/A file is created from a digital text document, the text will automatically be recognized. Normally you don't have to worry about a PDF/A file being te

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you merge the documents?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tools > Pages > Combine Files into PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the documents?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I am unable to as the documents are work related.  Do you think it will help if I change all the wording in the document and then share that?  I would keep the format, fonts, etc.  Or would this possibly change the outcome?  This might take a little bit of extra time as the documents have multiple pages.  I can start working on this now and test to see if I get the same results then I can share.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that the option to make a "portfolio" was switched on. Make sure you turn this off. Note that the combined result will not be PDF/A !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check on what I said in my reply?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did verify that it was not set to portfolio.  When I converted the document back to PDF/A it again was no longer searchable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting and surprising. I can't account for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My apologies for re-birthing this issue.  But we have been making changes in our department and have recently been moved to Lenovo X1 Yogas using Windows 10.

Unfortunately the issue of two PDF/a documents being merged still end up as unsearchable even though the documents before the merge were PDF/a and searchable.  I am allowed to provide documents this time if that can be helpful but my continued search has not produced any fixes. Thanks for any help.  Additionally we are using Adobe Acrobat Pro XI ver 11.0.22 now.

Regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chrisp,

I failed to understand why are you merging two PDF/a documents? Ideally, we shouldn't be doing that PDF/a format mean archived documents. If the document is saved already with that feature you will are losing it.  It is better to use PortFolio feature to combine those together.

How can you best make PDF/A files text searchable?

If a PDF/A file is created from a digital text document, the text will automatically be recognized. Normally you don't have to worry about a PDF/A file being text searchable unless the file was created from a scanned paper document or image. But even then, OCR can be used to make it searchable. In this case, however, only PDF/A-1b is possible and not the more stringent PDF/A-1a.

Since PDF/A-1a lays especially high requirements on the fonts used and on the file structure, this level of conformance is recommended over PDF/A-1b for an exact text searchability, text extraction, and for the reuse of content. PDF/A-1b supports text search, may however not find all instances of a text if there are anomalies with character coding.

-Tariq Dar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Under options there is a file size option for the new file.  The largest file size corrects this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines