Dear Forum members,

here is what happens:

In InDesign CC 2017 (Build 12.0.0.81), I

1. I select the linked Illustrator file that needs to be edited,

2. chose "edit original" in the links window,

3. the file opens in Illustrator,

4. I edit the file there,

5. save it, and

6. upon returning to InDesign (the file in its frame still active), the application crashes (presumably upon trying to update the file).

In all previous versions I am and have been running here ever since, be it CC or CS) InDesign could always get along with exactly that situation of having a file edited outside InDesign's environment and then bringing InDesign to front again.

I also haven't found a checkbox to switch off the "automatic active link update"( if there is such a thing), in order to update the edited link manually from now on.

If anyone knows a solution to this annoying behaviour, it would be most welcome.

Cheers, and thank you in advance,

Mark

– Mac Pro (late 2010), Mac OS 10.12.3 (16D32), 32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3, SSD –

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have absolutely no faith that this will work, but try deselecting the placed Illustrator file and then choose Edit Original from the Links panel.

Also, in the past the file did not automatically update if it wasn't selected on the page. But in CC2017 it seems to update even when not selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Sandee,

thanks, I appreciate you replying so quickly – indeed, deselecting the file first is exactly the way I work now. Either going back  to InDesign to deselect it before editing/saving in Illustrator, or selecting the file in the links panel, and then press "edit original". A few clicks more and not as handy as before. But, no, my InDesign only auto-updates selected links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just purchase an iMac 2017 and have turned on GPU to take advantage of the high quality preview setting in inDesign. When I click and edit an AI file from the Links panel and it opens in Illustrator and I save the file and try and navigate back to InDesign, InDesign crashes. The AI file is quite large and has a large Gaussion blur effect on one of the objects. Seems that if I select Typical from the display performance setting in Indesign and then open the same file and make my changes and save it then InDesign updates it without crashing.

Not ideal as I purchased the higher spec computer with the GPU to save me time!!!!

Anyone else having the same issues and has found a work around. From the small amount of research I have done it appears that Adobe product don't seem to play well with Apple GPUs...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign? What version/build of the operating system? Does it crash if you turn off GPU acceleration? It is a known cause of several problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @BobLevine. Seems to be an illustrator AI file issue. Tried reducing the AI file contents - it was 40 layers with lots of vectors and it now seems to behaving... Tried with brand new AI file with big gaussian blur shape and lots of details and it was fine... Weird.... I did inherit the original AI file from another client so maybe the original one had issues. Didn't seem to have any issues on my MacBook Pro, but that was a 2011 model without GPU.

Indesign CC2017

Op system: Sierra 10.12.5

Haven't tried turning GPU off yet, but seemed to be ok when showing Typical preview vs High Quality and updating the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a MacBook Pro with macOS 10.12.5 and InDesign CC 2017.1. The Illustrator file was not selected.

I followed exactly the same steps as the poster markb5245190

With my GPU turned on (my default), I had no crash.

I'd suggest starting by restoring your InDesign preferences:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve. Tried a complete CC reinstall - didn't fix the issue and then chatting with Adobe support I tried a brand new AI file and seemed to behave so must have been the original AI file... Will keep an eye on it over the next couple of days and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe seems to have fixed this issue for the current version (12.1.0.56). InDesign's behaviour upon link update is normal for quite a while now. At least at my desk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines