Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Understanding the itemByRange function

Participant ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!
I have a script that loops over each page in the document and does a number of things. In some of my documents I have a few pages I want to ignore at the beginning so for those docs I want a new Pages object pointing to a limited number of pages, starting from the first page where my mainTextFrame starts and then every page until the end of the document. Pages.itemByRange() would seem ideal for this, but I'm running into  problems.

var bookPages = myDoc.pages;

var newPageRange = bookPages.itemByRange(mainTextFrames[0].parentPage, bookPages[bookPages.length-1]);

I thought this would work but apparently the function returns a Page object (though the API says it returns Pages). The returned object seems to contain all information from all Pages in the range but I don't know how to extract it in a coherent way. For instance newPageRange.index returns an array of all indexes of these pages. I want to be able to loop over these pages like I can with the original myDoc.pages array.

I also tried:

newBookPages = newPageRange.properties;

But even though this gives me an array to loop over it is not an array of pages which is what I need for the script I've written.

Is it just me or is the documentation really unclear about this? Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Hi Simon,

resolve the returned value from itemByRange() to an array of page objects by using getElements().

Example that is working with a selected frame on a document page:

var doc = app.documents[0];

var pages = doc.pages;

var start = app.selection[0].parentPage;

// doc.pages is a collection so we could use this to access the last one in the document:

var end = pages[-1];

// range could also be a collection:

var range = doc.pages.itemByRange( start , end );

// Resolve the collection of pages to an array

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Simon,

resolve the returned value from itemByRange() to an array of page objects by using getElements().

Example that is working with a selected frame on a document page:

var doc = app.documents[0];

var pages = doc.pages;

var start = app.selection[0].parentPage;

// doc.pages is a collection so we could use this to access the last one in the document:

var end = pages[-1];

// range could also be a collection:

var range = doc.pages.itemByRange( start , end );

// Resolve the collection of pages to an array of pages:

var arrayOfRange = range.getElements();

// Then loop the array…

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also see perhaps into some threads here in the forum where getElements() is discussed.

And read into this by Marc Autret: Indiscripts :: On ‘everyItem()’ – Part 2

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. I will read in on getElements() and the link you sent. I only searched for the itemByRange() and couldn't really find anything that helped me there. But your solution works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines