Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC - copy/paste layer from another file that was also calibrated 1:1

Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm using photoshop for work purposes and have come across a question. I often scan images individually and put them on a single canvas using copy/paste before printing a full sheet. I also occasionally ahve to do the same thing with photographs, but I have to calibrate the images using the scale in the photo to ensure it is 1:1 ratio. When I attempt to copy/paste the calibrated image into a canvas with another image (also has been calibrated), something messes up and only the original image prints to the 1:1 scale. I'm sure the calibration of the image i'm copying FROM is somehow taking the same specs as the image/canvas that i'm copying TO ... is there a way to prevent this from happening so each image stays at it's calibration, or do i simply have to print the pics individually since they are not the same size (unlike using the scanner method above). TIA!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

1:1 is square.  5px  by 5px is square 1000px by 1000px is square.  Are both of your images the same size and resolition,  If you paste 5px by 5px into a 1000px x 1000px image the layer pasted in will be 5px by 5px.  If you paste in 1000px x 1000px into a p5x x 5px image the layer pasted in will be 1000px x 1000px. Layers can be any size except for the background layer it is canvas size for Photoshop's background is a special layer  that does not support transparency and is the bottom layer in th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1:1 is square.  5px  by 5px is square 1000px by 1000px is square.  Are both of your images the same size and resolition,  If you paste 5px by 5px into a 1000px x 1000px image the layer pasted in will be 5px by 5px.  If you paste in 1000px x 1000px into a p5x x 5px image the layer pasted in will be 1000px x 1000px. Layers can be any size except for the background layer it is canvas size for Photoshop's background is a special layer  that does not support transparency and is the bottom layer in the layer stack. No layer can be moved below it..

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's the thing - they are not and can not be the same size/resolution without affecting my printing and what I need for the images.

The background layer of the additional images is what i am copying/pasting into the image with the enlarged canvas size, if that makes sense.

Is there a way to keep the same resolution/size as it is within separate images, yet print them on one  canvas sheet without negatively effecting or changing the resolution/size? Or do i just need to print individually to avoid any issues? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As JJ mentioned, they have to be the same resolution. A workaround might be to paste the copy, then convert it to a smart object and scale it to the right size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A document has a single resolution.  You will need to  scale the pasted in layer if the document are different in size.  If you scale a web size image in a print document that may not  be good it will be softer then the web image.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, thank you both!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines