Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Items in Layers Disappearing

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, everyone,

So I know the basics of InDesign but am still working on Layers. I've used layers in Illustrator before and have never experienced this problem.

I have many layers based on the different pages of my document. One layer (named: "page two") is supposed to have a header and some images. But when I moved the images in from my "original" layer (I'm simply redesigning a document and am using the original document to edit) to the new layer, something strange happened. I have the header and images in layer two, but when I click on the header, the images in the layers tool disappear. And if I click on the images, the header disappears. Not on the page itself (I can still see all of my items) but they disappear in the layers tool.

Can someone please help? It's not that horrible. I can work around it. But it's a pain to deal with.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know about using InDesign Master Pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layers have nothing to do with pages. Any layer is active and visible on every page.

If you want to create heading and footers and page numbers do it on the master page. Create a specific layer for that purpose on top of all layers, so that images will not cover up those items. Use Markers for page numbers and text variables based on Paragraph and Character styles for footers and headers, never do it manually, never position headers, footers or page numbers on the page, only on the master.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If on reflection you consider that maybe you don't know the basics of InDesign, it might be worth doing an introductory course, such as this Lynda.com online video tutorial. You can get a 30-days free trial. And, of course, you can ask specific questions on this friendly forum: InDesign CC 2017 Essential Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thanks. Yeah, I'm definitely rethinking what I know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines