• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

IND files older than 2011 have turned into .exe files and now can not be opened?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently looked up some old files, archived projects and my resume for updating. IND won't open any of them and they all look like the attached. I am on a Mac, Sierra 10.12.1 and Using CC 2017. Any advice on opening or converting would be great.

exe-sample.jpeg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

melissaj73415973  wrote

.. There is a very slight chance that these are Qxd files...

(*cough*) [Ann] Identify Your InDesign File

It may even be faster to open the PDF file (they still open, right?) and check their Document Properties. PDFs created by InDesign carry the description "Content creator: Adobe InDesign [version number]". You can check that with Acrobat Reader or Pro, and even with OS X's own Preview:

Untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes you think those are INDD files? There's no file extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are invoices that I created from the same Indesign template. I've never used any other program to create them. As well as my resume which has been in Indesign for ages. I have that saved in revisions... and more recent ones are fine, but older ones (pre-2011) all look like this.

My older innd files don't have extension on them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to post one somewhere, I'll take a look here but the only way they wouldn't have an extension is if it was deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company had the same problem when we migrated to a PC server. The solution was to simply add the extension .indd to the files. At least for us that was all it took. They then opened right up in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which is why that extension should never be removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I didi try adding the extension now - no luck. And yes agreed on not removing the extension. Macs didn't always add them automatically... so can run into issues with older files. There is a very slight chance that these are Qxd files... I don't have Quark anymore, but think I can test on an old computer at work. Thanks for the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said, if you want to post one some place I'll be happy to take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

melissaj73415973  wrote

.. There is a very slight chance that these are Qxd files...

(*cough*) [Ann] Identify Your InDesign File

It may even be faster to open the PDF file (they still open, right?) and check their Document Properties. PDFs created by InDesign carry the description "Content creator: Adobe InDesign [version number]". You can check that with Acrobat Reader or Pro, and even with OS X's own Preview:

Untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. I did check the info on the exe docs, which is why I thought initially they were all IND files. Given the 1969 date in the created field, I am guessing they are corrupted.

info.jpeg

But the info on the PDFs does say QXD... so that must be the issue. Still odd the the 'Kind' field in the finder lists them as IND docs.

Thanks again for all the responses. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines