• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color problems between two files with the same Color Profile?

Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe CS5 on my old macbook, and Adobe CS6 on my iMac (yeah, I know, it's time I invested to CC).

Anyway, I've always been able to use files between the two and never had much of an issue until a recently.

I have used a file on both machines as a workspace to create pixel art and then drop those layers into a new file as needed.

However, when try to paste a layer into a new file iit tells me the color profiles do not match and I get color noise which is no good for pixel art!

The weird thing is both files have the same color profiles:

sRGB IEC61966-2.1 Generic RGB

Both files are set to RGB mode, but the new files I create have an asterisk (Layer x, RGB/8*) in the header, whereas the source file does not.

This is absolutely killing me because I need to transfer layers out of this file but now I can't without redoing the pixel art.

Any ideas what's wrong or solutions that could help? Do the color profiles differ between versions of PS?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

I have just found the answer after fishing around the forums, sorry I didn't find a related topic on my initial search so created a new thread.

Even though the Color mode was set to RGB on both, when I went to Edit> Convert to Profile in the destination file for some reason CMYK was selected for destination space. I changed it back to sRGB and now I can drop layers between the files no problem.

And I learnt something in the process! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please set the status bar to indicate »Document Profile« and post a screenshot of both images open as non-tabbed windows.

have an asterisk (Layer x, RGB/8*) in the header,

The asterisk indicates unsaved changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just found the answer after fishing around the forums, sorry I didn't find a related topic on my initial search so created a new thread.

Even though the Color mode was set to RGB on both, when I went to Edit> Convert to Profile in the destination file for some reason CMYK was selected for destination space. I changed it back to sRGB and now I can drop layers between the files no problem.

And I learnt something in the process! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Convert to Profile should not be relevant for moving Layers between files, issues arising there should be governed by the settings in Edit > Colour Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines