• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

library question

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there.. I am new to lightroom as I switched over last year from aperture.  I keep all of my photos on an external hardrive.  I change my hardrive every year to make sure to avoid fails.  Last week I copied my photos on to a new drive.  I opened this drive on my laptop by holding option key and double clicking on LR icon on my laptop.  This set the drive as my default (when opening LR) no problem.  I just tried to do the same on my desktop and the library opened with question marks by every folder.  I tried closing and opening again several times with the same result.  After looking online for help, I right clicked on a couple of folders with question marks and selceted "find photos"  those folder just disappeared from lightroom catalog.  Now I have no idea what to do.  Can anyone help?  I know it's something simple, just dont know what.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Images never 'disappear' from LR just from itself.

As long as the new drive is on the same mount-point and has the very same folder structure, this move to a new drive should not be an issue. A '?' on folders indicates that this seems not to be the case.

Either correct the drive so that from LR's view is everything the same as before or re-link the topmost folder (only!) in LR's library.

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

If you already messed up the catalog, restore a backup

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images never 'disappear' from LR just from itself.

As long as the new drive is on the same mount-point and has the very same folder structure, this move to a new drive should not be an issue. A '?' on folders indicates that this seems not to be the case.

Either correct the drive so that from LR's view is everything the same as before or re-link the topmost folder (only!) in LR's library.

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

If you already messed up the catalog, restore a backup catalog.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

laurar33635833  wrote

After looking online for help, I right clicked on a couple of folders with question marks and selceted "find photos"  those folder just disappeared from lightroom catalog.  Now I have no idea what to do.  Can anyone help?  I know it's something simple, just dont know what.

They don't disappear from Lightroom. They MOVE to the new drive name/letter.

If the folder was on your E: drive, and you performed the "Find Missing Folder" command, and you told Lightroom that the folder in question is on the F: drive, you now can find this folder on the F: drive and not the E: drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a great chance that Laura is on OSX as she changed over from Aperture! OSX does not use drive letters if I'm not misinformed.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abambo  wrote

There is a great chance that Laura is on OSX as she changed over from Aperture! OSX does not use drive letters if I'm not misinformed.

So the same advice applies, except that instead of E: and F:, you would replace that with valid OSX drive names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that your mount point changed with the new drive.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please post a screen shot of your Lr screen in the Library module so we can see your left side showing folders and catalog panels open. Make sure your drives are connected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines