Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create speckled effect in CC 17 on windows

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello all

I am creating diplomas for a middle school Harry Potter summer program and found a site that gives me a great starting point. The site used an ivory paper from their local store and I have some of that paper. However, creating the speckled pattern gives better versatility to the certificate and the overall effect. Background is ivory and the spexkles look look like burnt orange.

How can I create the speckled effect in CC 17? I truedtge guassian blur a bit and likely didn't go far enough.

any help, ideas, links etc are greatly apprecuated.

if someone can tell me how to add an image to this thread I'll put the certificate up with a link.

Thanks in advance

Kirk

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 01, 2017 Jul 01, 2017

Not sure if I am following 100%… However if you are saying that you wish to recreate a parchment background in Photoshop to print over the top of your ivory paper, then is this sort of what you are looking for?

I set the foreground/background colours to a light and darker “buff” hue, then used the Render Clouds filter (press CMD/CTRL F multiple times to reapply the random cloud generation until you like the result). I also added a solid brown fill layer above the rendered clouds, then changed opa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

insertImagePhotographIcon.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post an example?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a link to the certificate:

http://simplydarrling.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/hogwarts_kendra_parchment_blog.jpg

Screen capture of the textured area from the above link is uploaded here:

Potter_certificate.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2017 Jul 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if I am following 100%… However if you are saying that you wish to recreate a parchment background in Photoshop to print over the top of your ivory paper, then is this sort of what you are looking for?

I set the foreground/background colours to a light and darker “buff” hue, then used the Render Clouds filter (press CMD/CTRL F multiple times to reapply the random cloud generation until you like the result). I also added a solid brown fill layer above the rendered clouds, then changed opacity to 3% and blend mode to Dissolve. I then added a new blank layer and merged this with the dissolve blend layer so that I could apply a minor blur to the speckles (I left it very obvious in the image above so that you could see the effect). There are many approaches to creating such synthetic backgrounds.

clouds-dissolve-blur.png

You could also try using Difference Clouds and fade, add contrast and blend the result back into the other steps.

clouds-differenceclouds-dissolve-blur.png

P.S. Of course, it will depend how this prints on the final ivory stock, what looks good onscreen may not look the same on the final prints so some trial and error may be required (you could easily test many different background patches on a single test print sheet).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2017 Jul 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

YES!!! That is it!!!

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blur is going to produce the opposite of speckle.        Look for some star and galaxy brush sets with this sort of effect.  Note I have size and opacity set high for the sake of clarity.

Then in the Brush Dynamics set

Size jitter to full with minimum size about 25%

Angle jitter full.

Scatter to full with Both Axis checked.

Count to about 2 or maybe 3

Fill a new layer with this brush, and bring the layer opacity way down to whatever effect you want.

This is 30%

And this 40%

If I am missing the point, paste a sample to this thread as CP suggested, and folk will be queuing up to give you ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One could also use an artificial shape as for a Brush Preset with appropriate randomization.

speckleTestScr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines