• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Adobe?"

Advocate ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We frequent the dining areas of WiFi hotspots and meet many new friends including other creative souls working on big projects.

Yesterday, we stopped to chat with three residential landscape architects who do beautiful work with technical pencils and rolls of tracing paper. We had to ask if they scan their drawings to drop into an Adobe or Autodesk app. After a few seconds of blank stares one woman said, “We’ve never heard of Adobe.”

What’s to be learned from that experience?

First, we don’t want to say, “We’re smart—they’re not.” After all, we entered the digital world before the Mac or Windows existed. Yet, we still love pens and paper, too.

Next, could we collaborate with people all over the world if we never went digital?

Our world would be a much smaller space, one we can’t imagine. But, that doesn’t stop us from celebrating the analog creative expressions of others.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh well... my favorite sports team is the Portland Timbers (even though they have been playing poorly lately)

Say "futbol" to a Timbers fan and they know what you mean... anyone else will hear "football" and not know you are talking about Soccer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/John+T+Smith  wrote

Say "futbol" to a Timbers fan and they know what you mean... anyone else will hear "football" and not know you are talking about Soccer

I would like to believe that Adobe is a better-known household name than most sports team, but you got me thinking that such fame is probably relative to the team and where you live.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outside the US you say "futbol" and you have tens of millions of people who know what you mean... a round ball, not an ovoid ball

And, in fact, anyone who has seen play with an ovoid ball is very likely going to think Rugby, not American football

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Brian+Stoppee  wrote

I would like to believe that Adobe is a better-known household name than most sports team,

It certainly depends on the household! I was talking to someone the other day who had no idea what Adobe was, but they know who the Tennessee Titans are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Szalam  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Brian+Stoppee   wrote

I would like to believe that Adobe is a better-known household name than most sports team,

It certainly depends on the household! I was talking to someone the other day who had no idea what Adobe was, but they know who the Tennessee Titans are.

HA!

Do those of us who know who Adobe is and the Tennessee Titans, too get a special commemorative T-Shirt?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt if 90% of computer users, both professionals and private have any idea who Adobe are, or what they do.

Even creative professionals may never have heard of them, depending on how ones define what creative means. I would call a car designer a creative professional, but i doubt if they have heard of Adobe products beyond Photoshop, and possibly only when talking to the PR department.

Many if not most of Adobes products are aimed at a specific market, and type of user. If someone is not within that user base, or moves outside of it, they would have no reason to even look at Adobe.

Now to the important subject, football vs rugby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

Many if not most of Adobes products are aimed at a specific market, and type of user. If someone is not within that user base, or moves outside of it, they would have no reason to even look at Adobe.

Around 2-½ years ago we were pleased to discover that a few creative architectural firms had both Autodesk and Adobe subscriptions.  Now, we find all of them we talk to are setup like that.

Last month a big engineering firm partner said, "Are you able to send me those drawings as an Ai files?" He told us most engineering firms he works with have the full CC subscription (but that might just be one of those Baltimore-Washington kind of things).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Brian+Stoppee  wrote

Last month a big engineering firm partner said, "Are you able to send me those drawings as an Ai files?" He told us most engineering firms he works with have the full CC subscription (but that might just be one of those Baltimore-Washington kind of things).

I have to admit whenever i talk to our engineering department, i always ask if they can send me the technical drawings as Ai files, and over the last 5-6 years it has slowly become the norm for them to send me both the Ai file and the Autocad file, complete with a request that if i find any problems or detail not correctly shown to inform them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

I have to admit whenever i talk to our engineering department, i always ask if they can send me the technical drawings as Ai files, and over the last 5-6 years it has slowly become the norm for them to send me both the Ai file and the Autocad file, complete with a request that if i find any problems or detail not correctly shown to inform them.

Some of these firms use the Autodesk-Adobe connection for 3D and animated models as well as dazzling proposals and presentations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rugby is for REAL players (won't say men, since there are female teams) none of that sissy padding American football players wear

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/John+T+Smith  wrote

Rugby is for REAL players (won't say men, since there are female teams) none of that sissy padding American football players wear

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

Now to the important subject, football vs rugby

Only someone with a provincial mindset would prefer American football to rugby.

Rugby is non-stop action whereas an NFL game has only about 11 minutes of action in almost three hours of game time. Rugby is probably my favorite sport to watch.

Plus that thing with the padding... Rugby is arguably safer because the players are more careful when they tackle. Rugby doesn't have a concussion problem like American football does.

Now if your discussion is between football/soccer and rugby, you'll get some interesting discussion. Football/soccer is called "The Beautiful Game" for a reason (and it's not just the players' good looks [even if those looks don't translate to statues]).

There is a lot of nuance and strategy to football/soccer and NOT ALL of it is in perfecting the drama of falling down when another player gets a bit close to you. Some of it is also in feigning hurt innocence when you actually do tackle another player right in the knee with your cleated boot and you must deflect the ref from giving you a card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well this is fun.

Janet & I had no idea what we were getting into when we starting tossing around ideas for topics which might be of interest for this forum.

We had no idea we'd get into sports talk.

Gotta love.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there is sports talk... and there is the world wide semi-religion of Soccer

Back in the 70's when Pele came to the NASL, the Brazilian government had to approve their "National Treasure" going to play in the US

Also, he is, according to Pelé - Wikipedia  the one who coined "the Beautiful Game"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any programs out there that do not have some type of Adobe software on them?  I am in creative design and have ALWAYS used Photoshop but I do know that there are other creative professionals that use different types of programs that are not associated with Adobe in any way.  Could it be that THESE are the folks that have never heard of Adobe?    For the longest time I did not know that Flashplayer was an Adobe product! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of folks who do 3d work (especially VFX) who do texture work in Substance, model and animate in Maya, 3ds Max, Houdini, etc., they composite in Nuke, Fusion, etc., and they send to an editor who uses Avid (for example). A full 3d pipeline with no Adobe anything.

Of course, there are others in 3d who use vectors from Illustrator, do texture work in Photoshop, model and animate in Cinema 4D, composite in After Effects, and send to an editor who uses Premiere Pro. A full 3d pipeline with Cinema 4D as the only non-Adobe product involved (and C4D is pretty closely aligned with Adobe since C4D Lite comes included with your Creative Cloud subscription...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

carla5811  wrote

For the longest time I did not know that Flashplayer was an Adobe product! 

It took me the longest time to figure out what the difference was between Macromedia Flash Player and Macromedia Shockwave.

There are still some old projects out there which use Shockwave and Adobe still pushes out OS tweaks, as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this a long time ago. It won a FlashForward award, as well as many other ones. It amused me that it got the FlashForward award as it was done in Director:

Willing To Try

It does use a lot of Flash animations, those are inside the Shockwave DCR files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Colin+Holgate  wrote

I did this a long time ago. It won a FlashForward award, as well as many other ones. It amused me that it got the FlashForward award as it was done in Director:

THAT'S RIGHT! Now I remember.

I sent your link to this thing to someone, who sent it to someone, who sent it to someone and soon everyone was asking, "Shockwave?"

You may have done this a zillion years ago but it's still so fun and still so clever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to do some digging to figure out when I had done it. It won Best of Show at the Invision awards in November 1999, so it was before then:

NewMedia INVISION 99 Awards Winners Announced at Gala Event

And still live 18 years later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Colin+Holgate  wrote

And still live 18 years later.

Yeh. Me too.

But that's primarily because I stopped doing all-nighters with Adobe apps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was more about the shockwave piece being live than me being live!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pronouncing "Adobe" is a real challenge here in France  because people always hesitate between the French pronounciation, the English pronounciation and the Spanish prononciation (because originally it is a Spanish word).

“Ever heard of Aidoobi?”

"Do you mean Adobé" ?

Clic the sound icon on Google translate to hear the difference: https://translate.google.fr/#en/fr/Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JR_Boulay  wrote

Pronouncing "Adobe" is a real challenge here in France  because people always hesitate between the French pronounciation, the English pronounciation and the Spanish prononciation (because originally it is a Spanish word).

Yep. The company appears to have been named after the creek which ran through the backyard of the home of one of the founders where they started their pursuit of the Postscript printer language.

Developing worldwide household name apps may not have been in the forefront of their minds, at the time.

The story of George Eastman and the naming of Kodak is a different story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines