• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CANON 80D - NOISE REDUCTION ISSUE - HELP

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I bought a Canon 80D to replace my 40D. The 80D can deal with much higher ISO settings.

Now the problem is this: when I open RAW files shot at a higher ISO the colour noise automatically gets replaced by a grayscale noise which is most annoying - as you can see in the pictures below. In my opinion the right picture is simply not acceptable.
Anyone who encountered this problem? I'm quite desperate. Never had problems like this before.@

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide more details.

Where does the image on the left come from? Are you viewing the raw file in some application that only shows you the embedded jpg preview? If so, it could be noise redcuction set in the camera, which has no effect on the raw file.

And can you post a screenshot of the Detail panel in Develop for the image on the right, inlcuding part of the image at 1:1 view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Left image: RAW file opened with Windows 10 Photo Viewer

Right image: after conversion with Lightroom

LR standard features as far as noise reduction is concerned:

LInk: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image you posted in your first post is not the images you uploaded to One Drive.

One of the images you link to on One Drive was shot at ISO 12800. What were you expecting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, I posted another picture. Because there the grey noise is most obvious. I don't want the colour noise to be replaced by black and white and I don't see where this is asked for in the settings.

I've uploaded some other files taken at a lower ISO setting (down to 640), including the one in the example which was indeed 10000.

The thing is, I don't want the colour noise replaced by black and white pixels. This is what happens though and it didn't in the older version of LR 5,7,1 which I still have on this PC. Unfortunately this version does not support my new camera.

Greets

Marie Hélène

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is, when I use the Digital Photo Professional 4 included with my camera, this works a lot better. But there the adjustment takes a lot more time and you don't have the automatic corrections included in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2019 Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and only at iso 1250!!! its disgusting, so many pictures RUINED

figures, another UNANSWERED QUESTION from adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2019 Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

xandrial92372173  wrote

I have the same problem and only at iso 1250!!! its disgusting, so many pictures RUINED

Please post a screenshot of the entire Ligthroom window with an image at 1:1 in Develop, and the Histogram, Basic panel and Detail panel expanded and visible.

another UNANSWERED QUESTION from adobe

Although this thread is marked as Not answered, nothing has been wrong with the images provided by the posters.

Also note that this is a user forum, nearly everyone who contributes here is a user like yourself, we are not Adobe employees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Windows Photo viewer cannot display the raw file, so it shows you the embedded jpg, which has received noise reduction in the camera. Most camera settings, like sharpening, noise reduction, picture styles only affect the jpg, and have no effect on the raw file.

So you have to apply noise reduction yourself in Lightroom.

Recently I bought a Canon 80D to replace my 40D. The 80D can deal with much higher ISO settings.

These two cameras have the same sensor size, but the 40D was only 10 megapixels, while the the 80D has 24, which have to fit into the same space as on the 10D. And higher pixel density will lead to more noise.

Also note that 12800 is a very high ISO setting, and you have to accept that there will be quite a lot of noise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want the colour noise to be replaced by black and white and I don't see where this is asked for in the settings.

Lightroom is not replacing color noise with black & white (luminance) noise, but there is a default setting of 25 for color noise in the Detail panel. If you want color noise to be visible, change it to a lower setting.

For luminance noise, the default is 0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the (very slim?) chance that there's something "going on" with Lightroom, RAW files showing up grainy in Photoshop at bottom post a report of a cache setting fixing "over-graininess".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such setting in Lightroom - I'm pretty sure that what we're seeing here is normal high ISO noise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you could upload the image to Dropbox or similar, others might be able to see what you're doing. Also, LR version number. As per Per <g> suspicion that switching cameras and an unfamiliarity might be be an issue - it looks like something is over sharpened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For fun, I went here: Canon EOS 80D Noise Test Results and played with high ISO RAW vs jpg.  The UI is a little quirky, but I think you can see similar results to what you're showing us. I think Per is right, that the Microsoft viewer uses the jpg embedded by Canon.  I think the real question is whether you can get RAW results close to what (I assume) is the 80D's aggressive Noise Reduction in the jpg by using LR's noise reduction tools. This link Canon 80D colour noise reduction from RAW  addresses some issues similar to, but not the same as yours. Note the discussion regarding Adobe Standard vs Canon emulation camera profiles for RAW processing - that Adobe Standard appears more aggressive. I don't think you have a problem, but that you're seeing an aggressive NR applied to a jpg as opposed to little applied to the RAW.  I took your 0700 RAW image and made no adjustment other than NR detail = 100 and Luminance = 40 and got results very similar to what I saw in the third jpg image. So to my mind, you're seeing high-ISO RAW with high noise because there's very little NR applied - which is to be expected. When you add NR in LR it looks much better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoops my bad, LR is not PS - thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marie Hélène,

I also bought recently a 80D and I've been experienced this same problem.  Did you get a solution for it?

I've been trying to find something more conclusive but haven't succeed yet.

Thanks,

Ana   

P.S.:  Are you from Belgium?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pernioca  wrote

I also bought recently a 80D and I've been experienced this same problem.  Did you get a solution for it?

The files provided by Marie Hélène were perfectly normal.

As mentioned above in post #8, Lightroom ignores most in-camera settings, and you have to apply noise reduction in Lightroom yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have noticed this noise issue with my new 80D. My 40D has very little noise at 100 ISO, yet the 80D seems to have a lot more noise at all ISO settings - Very disappointing!! Yes, the 80D seems to handle noise at higher ISO's a bit better, but the 40D has much less noise at 100!!! I have all of my camera settings at neutral or standard for both the 40D and the 80D. So unfortunately, unless you are shooting at higher ISO's, I cannot recommend switching to the 80D and since I am a real estate photographer, and always use a tripod, I also only shoot at 100 ISO - even indoors! I just let the camera set the Exposure Time. Seems like even 5 or 6 seconds with the 40D produces less noise than the 80D... How can this be??? VERY Disappointed with this purchase since I waited over 10 years to "Upgrade" It appears that the old "more mega Pixels isn't always better" claim is true!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 40D has 10 megapixels, the 80D has 24 megapixels on the same size sensor.

Although current sensors have better noise performance than the one in the 40D (released 2007), the difference between 10 and 24 megapixels is big, and the individual pixels in the 80D are much smaller than in the 40D. This means higher pixel density, which again means more noise.

I use Nikon, and am not familiar with Canon cameras, but you should not see noise at all in a properly exposed image at ISO 100, even with a 5 second exposure.

If you underexpose, and have to increase Exposure and/or Shadows significantly in Lightroom, noise may appear.

Sharpening also plays a part here – the combination of underexposure and/or over sharpening and leaving the Masking slider at zero will accentuate any noise in the image.

Also, evaluating noise (and sharpening) must be done at 1:1, any other magnification will be inaccurate and misleading because the image has been scaled. At 1:1, one image pixel is represented by one screen pixel, and this is the only magnification that gives you a true representation of the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines