Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font Acquisition - Grabbing From In Design - New to In Design

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Forum Users,

I'm new to using In Design, as I'm self taught and trying to pick up the tricks I need as I go along. I appreciate any help or tips I can get!

My question at the moment is: How can I glean the font type used in a stock vector I purchased for an extended license? I want to replace the text with my own for re-purposing.

If any of you know this font off hand let me know please, it's file #87728052, It's the bottom right graphic. I tried using the selection tool and seeing if it had it in it's data base, but no such luck. Again I am very new at this, so just realize I may ask stupid questions. When I select the Text It doesn't register as a text type at all? It is a Vector obviously, but I have no idea how to proceed to actually add the text that I want.

Thanks for taking a look, I hope I can get a few tips!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

There are a few free websites that allow you to submit an image of some type and will try to guess which font is used. Here is one:

WhatTheFont! « MyFonts

You will need to first save a copy of the vector file as an image.

You can remove the original type in Illustrator, then replace it in either Illustrator or InDesign (after placing the vector file) using type on a path.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to do it in Illustrator, not in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apart from that (InDesign is not a vector editing application), chances are high it's not live text in Illustrator either. In fact, you're very lucky if you can select and delete all of the "text" (more likely, all of its separate objects) at once.

The font is very similar to Gotham, by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few free websites that allow you to submit an image of some type and will try to guess which font is used. Here is one:

WhatTheFont! « MyFonts

You will need to first save a copy of the vector file as an image.

You can remove the original type in Illustrator, then replace it in either Illustrator or InDesign (after placing the vector file) using type on a path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to Luke's comment: Another free site to identify text is What Font is | WhatFontis.com.

The advantage of this one is it usually gives you 100 suggestions compared to WhatTheFont!'s dozen or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill, I'll try both ; )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Luke, that's very helpful. This will give me some more direction: I'll see what I can do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone, that was really helpful, I looked carefully and found out it's Nevis Bold. My there are a lot of very similar ones out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2017 Jul 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It might be worth you also undertaking some InDesign training. There are some useful books and there are excellent online video tutorials from Pluralsite.com and Lynda.com such as: InDesign CC 2017 Essential Training

You can get a 30-day free trial with both of these organisations.

And, of course, you can ask specific questions on this friendly forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines