Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF import Photoshop : huge quality loss

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have a PDF file with a design of 8 businesscards. Beautifully sharp.
When I import it in Photoshop, to change certain text, no matter how I save it, I get a huge quality loss.
Letters become unsharp. EVen when I don`t change it at all.

Could anyone help me find the problem?
Is it either the way I import, the file-type or the way I save?

I tried daving it as a PDF without compressing, DPI 300.

Thanks!  Tim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

When I import it in Photoshop, to change certain text, no matter how I save it, I get a huge quality loss.

You are probably already doing the damage by converting the type content to a pixel image right when you convert the pdf.

You should be able to do some editing in Acrobat and if that does not suffice you should be able to convert the pdf with Illustrator and edit it there.

But ideally you should request and edit the source-file (ai, indd, …) itself and export a new pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you aware of the difference between vector and pixel images?

In general: If texts or graphics are part of the pdfs do not edit them in Photoshop because they will likely be needlessly degraded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am aware of the difference. However, the company who made the design and sent us the PDF told us to change the text of the PDF in Photoshop and then save it as TIFF to send it to the printer. - Now, I can`t imagine they wouldn`t know what they are talking about, so I just did what they said.

So the conclusion; this can only be done by Acrobat or Illustrator..

OK thanks all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the conclusion; this can only be done by Acrobat or Illustrator.

If you want to maintain the quality that vector output provides compared to pixel output you should edit the pdf in a vector capable application.

As Test Screen Name mentioned Indesign is another option, but in all likelihood there are also other, non-Adobe applications available for the task.

Well, maybe if you'd worked at 600 ppi or 1200 ppi.

If one provides 1-bit bitmap output the resolution makes a difference, if one outputs CMYK or grayscale imagery the additional resolution would usually be effectively lost in the RIP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

timont91170400  wrote

However, the company who made the design and sent us the PDF told us to change the text of the PDF in Photoshop and then save it as TIFF to send it to the printer. - Now, I can`t imagine they wouldn`t know what they are talking about, so I just did what they said.

That company sounds seriously iffy, if you ask me. Sounds to me as if they do not own the original design files, and perhaps do not own a license to use those files either.

And why are they asking YOU (the client) to change the text? Seems to be their job. Also, what would you do if the font used in that PDF is not available on your system? Steal it? Again, it is "their" design, right?

All of these points, as well as their astounding lack of technical know-how, tell me that you'd better run the other way. Fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rayek, the story is - you`re obviously interested in hearing this- the company designed businesscards and for every new order they charged an enormous amount. So I asked them to supply the design, so I can change and order it. Which would save a lot of money.
They send me the PDF (vector) and told me I could open it in Photoshop and safe it as TIFF. So I did. The new printer also didn`t say anything and printed a testcard which was very bad. I now changed it with Illustrator and it worked like a charm. -

In my experience many  professional designers and printers charge too much for work like this. Changing a new name on a businesscard is 5 minutes of work, yet they charged us for 2 hours.

To everyone; thanks for your help! I should`ve known this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are probably already doing the damage by converting the type content to a pixel image right when you convert the pdf.

You should be able to do some editing in Acrobat and if that does not suffice you should be able to convert the pdf with Illustrator and edit it there.

But ideally you should request and edit the source-file (ai, indd, …) itself and export a new pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem, the huge mistake, is to open the PDF in Photoshop. Unless your problem is "how do I convert a PDF to a raster format" Photoshop is never the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, maybe if you'd worked at 600 ppi or 1200 ppi. Sounds as if their knowledge is limited - and bizarre, nobody should be sending PDF for text changing IN ANY APP. They should send the design file.

InDesign is another option. Not an editor at all, but you can place, partly cover, and recreate the PDF text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using PDFs in Photoshop to be used as a menu for export to Encore.  The client's music program is a PDF.  I import and embed into photoshop 1920x1080 600 ppi (even tried up to 1200 ppi.)  No editing, in fact I leave it as a smart object and simply add buttons for use in Encore.  After creating a DVD, the text is almost unreadable.  (Blu-ray is a lot better).  Very legible in PDF, not in Photoshop.  I even tried opening in Illustrator, rasterize set for 1200 ppi and convert text to outlines.  Resulting PDF looks very good zoomed to 1200% but terrible in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Adobe Acrobat, simply export the file to postscript. Then, open it in photoshop.

It does change quality but when you print it, it hardly to tell.

Hopefully, this help!

Olive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It does change quality but when you print it, it hardly to tell.

Especially for elements that were vector in the pdf the loss of quality in printed products can be noteworthy, though, in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines