• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

IPS-Monitor Asus PA279Q - Confused, which Color-Mode for LR Workflow?

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Community

Even I use Lightroom since year, I'm lil bit confused again regarding colormanagement respectively using the correct monitor mode for getting perfect colors in my pictures. I own an Asus PA279Q AH-IPS monitor which is hardware ProArt calibrated. The monitor covers a wide color gamut of 99% Adobe RGB, 100% sRGB, 120% NTSC and has 7 SPLENDID Preset Modes (Adobe RGB Mode/sRGB Mode/Scenery Mode/Theater Mode/Standard Mode/User Mode 1/User Mode 2).

In my camera Canon EOS 6D I selected AdobeRGB as color space for shooting in CR2/RAW. That's why I selected until today on my monitor the AdobeRGB preset mode due to the fact, that this colorspace is bigger than sRGB. The confusion I have is, the monitor is a wide gamut monitor which can display a higher color space than adobe RGB.

Now to my question, which preset mode is the correct one and in which mode should I work to get best results in color in my workflow with Lightroom/Photoshop ?

In which mode are you all working to get perfect results in your LR-develop workflow ?

Would be great to get some answers from yourside and I'm looking forward hearing from you soon.

Thank you very much.

Stephan

Zurich / Switzerland

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not familiar with Asus monitors, but the general advice is to do your own calibration with a hardware calibrator.

Also, monitors change over time, and it's therefore necessary to calibrate regularly, it's not something you do once and forget about it.

Until you have chance to calibrate, it's best to use the Adobe RGB mode.

In my camera Canon EOS 6D I selected AdobeRGB as color space for shooting in CR2/RAW.

The color space you choose in the camera only affects jpgs. Raw files are greyscale files, but they contain color information, which is applied when the raw file is rendered in Lightroom.

The confusion I have is, the monitor is a wide gamut monitor which can display a higher color space than adobe RGB.

Your monitor displays 99% of the Adobe RGB gamut (according to the specs), so it cannot dispaly colors outside the Adobe RGB gamut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Per

Thanks for your quick Reply. So if set my Monitor in mode AdobeRGB, have several modes available to select on my Monitor, then ‘m on the right side ?

Kind regards and thankj you very much

Stephan

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10

Von: Per Berntsen

Gesendet: Freitag, 30. Juni 2017 12:51

An: Stephan Gschwind

Betreff: Re: – IPS-Monitor Asus PA279Q - Confused, which Color-Mode for LR Workflow? Adobe Community

Antwort von Per Berntsen in Photoshop Lightroom - Komplette Diskussion anzeigen

I'm not familiar with Asus monitors, but the general advice is to do your own calibration with a hardware calibrator.

Also, monitors change over time, and it's therefore necessary to calibrate regularly, it's not something you do once and forget about it.

Until you have chance to calibrate, it's best to use the Adobe RGB mode.

In my camera Canon EOS 6D I selected AdobeRGB as color space for shooting in CR2/RAW.

The color space you choose in the camera only affects jpgs. Raw files are greyscale files, but they contain color information, which is applied when the raw file is rendered in Lightroom.

The confusion I have is, the monitor is a wide gamut monitor which can display a higher color space than adobe RGB.

Your monitor displays 99% of the Adobe RGB gamut (according to the specs), so it cannot dispaly colors outside the Adobe RGB gamut.

Sie können auf diese Nachricht antworten, indem Sie diese E-Mail beantworten oder die Nachricht unter Adobe Community aufrufen Starten Sie eine neue Diskussion in Photoshop Lightroom per E-Mail oder unter Adobe Community Sie folgen IPS-Monitor Asus PA279Q - Confused, which Color-Mode for LR Workflow? in diesen Aktivitätenlisten: Posteingang Diese E-Mail wurde Ihnen von Adobe Community gesendet, da Sie ein registrierter Benutzer sind.

Sie können sich sofort von Adobe Community abmelden oder die E-Mail-Häufigkeit in Ihren Einstellungen anpassen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, use the Adobe RGB preset until you get a calibrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already one, spyder5elite. I ask me whats better, hardware calibration with asus proart software or a software calibration with datacolor software. Both are working with the spyder5 colrmeter.

Whats your opinion?

Kind regards stephan

Von meinem iPhone gesendet.

Am 30.06.2017 um 13:47 schrieb Per Berntsen <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Adobe Community

Antwort von Per Berntsen in Photoshop Lightroom - Komplette Diskussion anzeigen

Yes, use the Adobe RGB preset until you get a calibrator.

Sie können auf diese Nachricht antworten, indem Sie diese E-Mail beantworten oder die Nachricht unter Adobe Community aufrufen

Starten Sie eine neue Diskussion in Photoshop Lightroom per E-Mail oder unter Adobe Community

Sie folgen IPS-Monitor Asus PA279Q - Confused, which Color-Mode for LR Workflow? in diesen Aktivitätenlisten: Posteingang

Diese E-Mail wurde Ihnen von Adobe Community gesendet, da Sie ein registrierter Benutzer sind.

Sie können sich sofort von Adobe Community abmelden oder die E-Mail-Häufigkeit in Ihren Einstellungen anpassen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was under the impression that you didn't have a calibrator, since you haven't mentioned it before.

Acoording to this page How to use ASUS ProArtâ„¢ Calibration Technology your monitor cannot use the ProArt software, it's only for model 329 and later.

So you will need to calibrate using the Spyder software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Per

I just had contact with Asus and they confirmed me that I can make a HW calibration the same way as it possible for the 329q model. My monitor has also the ProArt Standard and thats why a HW-calibration is possible.

thanks a lot for you quick replies today and have a good weekend.

kind regards

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Stephan,

Per's advice was pretty much on the money. HW calibration is definitely the only way to go. Avoid spectrophotometers and stick with the Colorimeters such as X-Rites or your Spyder 5. Asus is relatively new to the pro monitor market but with a little time I think they will be quite competitive. I have a PA329 and it does quite well compared to my Eizo's and NEC's. I'm anxious for the calibration software to be released on the Mac platform. On another issue try processing your Canon files in Capture One and always into ProPhoto color space. Send the ProPhoto file to your printer. Depending on the type of printer you have (hopefully Epson) the printer will exceed Adobe 1998 color space. It's probably more information than you wanted...

Ciao,

Douglas Dubler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines