• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC and brushes

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, when i create 3m x 4m 200 dpi image and when use some brushes all work very slow (time delay when I draw very quickly), most troubles i have when use KyleDryMedia brushes on this image size (3m x 4m)

i have i7-5960X, 64GB DDR4, 2nd m2 ssd drive for photoshop temps, and geforce 970. In photoshop performance all options is correct.

Why top hardware work so bad?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because you apparently work on a file of 23622px x 31496px – that might be called a considerable size.

Are you sure you need 200ppi at the final size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i print my works on plotter and need max quality (paint 3m x 4m size but can print on 10m size)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At 10m for the longer side that would still come to 80ppi which seems generous for that size.

But if you need to work at that size I can only recommend trying to see if you can optimise Photoshop’s performance in general, open only one file at a time etc.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is what it is with so many pixels.  Small brush size and higher spacing will help. 

Are you using Windows 10?  Check Resource Monitor to see what the bottleneck is.

What are your Preferences > Performance > Cache settings?  If not already selected, set it to the third option, which is Huge Pixel Dimensions.  How much room on the Scratch drive, and what size Photoshop......temp files are in its root?  I can easily see such a large file over spilling a typical NMVe drive, unless your are a billionaire. 

Do you have second and third Scratch drives set?  What is your Windows Page File size, and is it set to automatic?

I know this is Photoshop, but it might be worth asking the Premiere Pro Hardware forum guys, as they are the experts at managing lots of data.

Hardware Forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i try on windows 7 and windows 10, i have one scratch drive (500gb samsund 960) - system installed on other ssd disk

i try 4 and 8 level cache

windows page file disabled (because ddr4 worked faster then ssd drives)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on scratch disk all time 1-2x 67GB temp photoshop file, ddr4 memory used on 80% (64GB total)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and about system monitor - CPU still load 5-10%, all system looks not loaded. You can try create 3m x 4m file 200 dpi and try paint one diagonal line from edge to edge using Flat Fan High Bristle Count 100-150 size

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe there are restrictions during the work with such files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eds19753842  wrote

and about system monitor - CPU still load 5-10%, all system looks not loaded. You can try create 3m x 4m file 200 dpi and try paint one diagonal line from edge to edge using Flat Fan High Bristle Count 100-150 size

I'm fairly sure that the paint brush will use just one core.  You need to look at the CPU usage for the core in use rather than overall CPU usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyway, that brushes work slow on big sizes... what i can update?  Xeon CPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

eds19753842  wrote

Anyway, that brushes work slow on big sizes... what i can update?  Xeon CPU?

Which one?  The problem with Xeon CPUs when it comes to Photoshop, is they tend to have lots of cores, but a low clock speed, and Photoshop uses only one core for most functions.  So an E5-4660 v3 costing $4800 with a clock speed of just 2.1Ghz...

Would be trounced by an easily overclocked i7-2600K costing just $360 when running Photoshop because of its much faster clock speed.

(Graphics from Passmark)

I actually don't know if that would still be true when editing video in Photoshop.  Premiere Pro and After Effects make much better use of multi-cored CPUs.  In fact a lot of the hardware review websites use Handbrake as a datum for testing multi-cored CPUs.

eds19753842  wrote

what i can update?  Xeon CPU?

What are your Scratch file sizes?  Are they being contained on the M.2 primary scratch drive?  OK, I just looked back through the thread and you have two 67Gb scratch files.

So what can you do?

Overclock the 5960K.  You should be able to get it to run reliably at 4Ghz with sufficient cooling. Out of five samples, Tom's Hardware got four to run at 4.5Ghz, and one at 4.6Ghz.  Notes that the Premiere Pro Hardware lads routinely run in the low 4Ghz.

Shut everything else down, and increase Photoshop memory allocation to 90%, and history states at the default 20.  I think you already use the appropriate cache setting.

Avoid overusing Smart objects.  IME they _really_ drag down performance because of the disk activity.

Use the Windows 10, and run Task Manager > Resource Monitor and look for the bottleneck.  With a system like yours I wouldn't like to guess what that might be.  134Gb scratch files don't sound too terrible if managed on a M.2 drive.

Email Kyle Webster and ask for his advice.  He is obsessed with Photoshop brushes, and I think he would be fascinated with your issue, and suggest what brush settings would work best at such large canvas size.  BTW what are the brush settings?  Spacing is the most important.  1% spacing looks lovely and smooth when viewing a small canvas up close, but I'm thinking OTT for a ten metre canvas.  25% would surely do, depending on the particular brush.  A fully hard round brush is going to look a bit lumpy, but a dry media brush not so much so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines