• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating/ReCreating Specific Button in Acrobat DC

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2017 Jul 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After much searching and finding no answers, I turn to the Acrobat Gods to help me out!

I'm trying to figure out how to create these types of buttons like the ones listed under attributes, abilities, and willpower listed on this document:https://mrgone.rocksolidshells.com/pdf/Exalted/Exalted3rdED_2-Page_Interactive.pdf

Example.PNG

When I open up the sheet in AA DC, I can see the fields and copy them, but it seems like there is a hidden layer underneath that serves as the actual "circle filling" rollover.  Sorry, I'm not sure how else to describe it.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to create a copy of a single dot, or multiple dots, and then redistribute them throughout a page as I see fit and still retain their usability (meaning I want the user to be able to click them and they are marked as filled).  For example, say I wanted to add two fillable circles to the "perception" attribute, how would I do this?

Additionally, I'd like to know how to create the square boxes that are clickable/fillable as well.  They are near the bottom of the first page and listed as health levels.

I'm using Adobe Acrobat DC and have access to InDesign as well.  I tend to use InDesign as Acrobat lacks a lot of the features and necessities for editing, aligning, and creating the things I need, inside of interactive PDFs.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no hidden layer or anything like that. They used check-boxes and set their Check Box Style option (under the Appearance tab) to either Circle or Square, according to their need. The borders are a part of the file's design.

I would recommend doing everything fields-related in Acrobat, actually. InDesign and Acrobat don't "play nice" when it comes to form fields, so you need to do everything either in one application or the other, and Acrobat is the native PDF editor, unlike ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would probably be why I had such a hard time finding postings relating to my issue as I was searching for "buttons" and not "check-boxes".  I'll go see if I can play with the check-boxes function and see if that gets me to where I need it.

IRT using only one program, the issue I have is that Acrobat is very limited, especially when it comes to graphics/design stuff, and is also just much less easy to use than InDesign is.  Just my .02

Thanks for your time and feedback on my issue.  I do appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I went back in and couldn't find the Check Box Style options while I was trying to edit the PDF.  So I did some searching and eventually figured out where I think I need to be, which is:

Tools > Forms and Signatures > Prepare Form

Now, I'm not actually sure what I'm doing in this toolset so I played around with it a bit and found the Check Box Style/Options.  But I'm still left with more questions.

1. How do I actually copy the previously madecirclee check boxes?

2. When I'm satisfied with the check boxes, how do I export and ensure that it is interactive?
3. How do I create a new check box on a blank document?  (I tried creating a blank pdf, but was unable to find the "create check box" object under the Tools > Create and Edit > Edit PDF toolset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Made a little bit of progress but I'm still stuck with these check boxes...Example.PNG

From the attached image you can see that I've found the check box properties area.  Even though I'm copying the previously made check boxes (in this case the circles on the left), the copies aren't carrying over the properties of the original object.  I've also tried to make a new circle check box, and when I did, I edited the properties to reflect that of the original check box circles, but it doesn't appear to be working.  The object is showing as a square, though I have circle selected, and when I click on it, it doesn't fill.  On the circle check box copies next to the original ones, it doesn't even show what shape it is (indicated in the above image).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're looking in the wrong place. It's under the Options tab. And as I said before, if you created or edited any of the fields in ID it's not a good idea to then edit them in Acrobat. You need to choose one or the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand what you are saying.  I haven't been using InD while doing any of this, only Acrobat.  You said not to do check boxes in InD.  Now you are saying to stay away from using Acrobat to edit them?  Which is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said (twice) that you should use either application. If you're doing everything in Acrobat that should be fine.

It seems like you're expecting to see the check-marks in the Form Edit mode. That's not how it works.

You need to exit it and then actually click one of the fields to make the check-mark appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone (I think it might  be Adobe marketing, bless them) has been putting out a truly terrible idea, and people have been falling for it. The idea is "Acrobat is a graphics/text editor, so use it to create and edit PDF files". No! Truly awful, and painful even when it's possible. Use InDesign. For everything you've shown us so far, including the radio buttons. At some point you'll need to do some additional form field editing in Acrobat, as little as possible because you'll need to redo it after each design change in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, based on what I've been reading while trying to research my issue, it would be better to probably just use InDesign.  Trying to complete this most menial of tasks has been so ridiculous and time-consuming that it makes me wonder where the disconnect (in terms of usability) was when they implemented the tools in Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your sample file was not created with InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree, until the point about form fields. Acrobat is the best tool for that job. Adding and editing PDF form fields is a relatively new addition to ID, and although it's true it can be used to create some nifty visual effects with them, it is a far from complete tool when it comes to applying scripts, working with the full properties of these fields, etc. Acrobat was, and remains, the industry-standard tool for form fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I did as you advised, which is use Adobe Acrobat.  I specifically mentioned I was doing this in AA DC in the op.

I did exit the form edit mode and the check boxes are not behaving correctly, nor are they being illustrated/drawn correctly on the document.  One of the circle check boxes is a square check box and it doesn't fill correctly.  The three additional circle check boxes I've created are invisible but fill when they are clicked on.

Trying to answer these questions and would appreciate something substantial and not one sentence at a time via post.  Can you take screen cap or image of what you are doing on your side to solve any of the questions below?

"1. How do I actually copy the previously made circle check boxes?

2. When I'm satisfied with the check boxes, how do I export and ensure that it is interactive?
3. How do I create a new check box on a blank document?  (I tried creating a blank pdf, but was unable to find the "create check box" object under the Tools > Create and Edit > Edit PDF toolset."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Acrobat you must use Tools > Prepare Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you understand what I'm doing.  I went through EVERY tab, including the options, and set them so that they were the same as the boxes that are on the default sheet.  However, nothing shows up.  Just like what is shown in the photo.  I've tried copying them to the clipboard and repasting them, I've tried creating new check boxes, and none of it works.  This is all in Adobe Acrobat DC.  I'm not doing this in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must exit the edit mode to see the check boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I exited the mode, only half of the circle check boxes are there, and they aren't behaving like the original circle check boxes.  I'm not idly sitting here.  I'm going through and trying different combinations trying to solve my issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are circles on the page. They are not part of the check boxes. You will see this when you delete the check boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how your response helps?  It does not detail any steps for creation or replication of check boxes as were mentioned in the the op, or the following questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines