• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

it always start from the second column!!

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2017 Jul 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to split the paragraph into 2 columns but the paragraph starts from the second columns, I also tried to do so with another text frame it worked I just don't know why they are different!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 02, 2017 Jul 02, 2017

Are you using InDesign with Middle Eastern (ME) support? If yes, then make sure to use appropriate type tool for the language in your publication.

To elaborate further, I suspect you are using ME type tool to create text frame, now when you split text frame the cursor will automatically starts on the right column even if you're typing English since the frame was created with ME type tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an unwanted Paragraph Style applied to the text (might be worth checking).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there isn't any paragraph or character style applied to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE!

My deadline is tomorrow, so please be helpful with your answer and make it combo with various options or steps to make

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user forum, not a direct link to any kind of support. Everyone here is a volunteer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using InDesign with Middle Eastern (ME) support? If yes, then make sure to use appropriate type tool for the language in your publication.

To elaborate further, I suspect you are using ME type tool to create text frame, now when you split text frame the cursor will automatically starts on the right column even if you're typing English since the frame was created with ME type tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it seems that you are right! but I still have a problem, I have a normal indesign cc (with no me thing with it), but the problem now I have a file made with the ME type tool to edit it, how can I change all the ME text frames to normal ones.

and thanks for your help

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your International English InDesign, you can create new text frames which should behave Left-to-Right as intended. However, existing text frames which were created using an ME Type tool cannot be changed I'm afraid.

See in the InDesign يدعم العربية With Middle Eastern support, we have an option under the Story Panel which allow user to change story/text frame directions.

story-panel.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I should tell my partner about the solution. Really really thanks about you reply and I guess indesign developers should know more about this issue, I guess this occur again with .

Last thing can you please give me a link so I can give a feedback to the developers?

Thanks again,

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think "Story Direction" option is considered needed for user whom creating publications in strictly Latin language such as English, French, Italian… etc. Having said that, I guess Adobe do have the means to include this Story Direction option for any InDesign version.

You may request a feature by filling the form here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines