Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File structure messed up

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short version of problem

I had to redo my computer file structure not using LR (as explained below).  Now when I try to edit an image using LR, I get a message that says “X is associated with another photo in the catalog.  Each file can only be associated with one photo.”  Also, for images that are no longer in the LR folder, I get a message that says the image cannot be found.

Longer fuller version of problem

When I updated Windows 10, my PC crashed.  I took it to Geek Squad and they said my hard drive had been corrupted so they whipped my hard drive clean and did an operating system restore to get it working again.  They backed up all my files in a file on my desktop.

Before the crash, all my files were on an E: drive. (I believe this was a partition of my drive; it was not an external drive.)  The restored computer has no E: drive, only a C: drive.  When I moved the files out of the desktop I put them in my C: drive…I had no other choice (as far as I know).

I tried to use the Synchronize function.  Of the 42,000 photos in my catalog, 16,000 of them now show in my “Folder; local disk C:”

As mentioned, I am using the latest versions of Windows 10 and LR CC (2015).

I would appreciate any suggestions to untangle this mess.  If need be, maybe I could ask Geek Squad to make an E: patrician on my hard drive.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Synchronizing or importing will not fix the problem.

The correct thing to do is to follow these instructions (specifically Figure 4 and associated text).

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Synchronizing or importing will not fix the problem.

The correct thing to do is to follow these instructions (specifically Figure 4 and associated text).

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you do anything, back up your catalog. How to back up catalogs in Lightroom

Making a new E: partition won't buy you anything, you have to untangle the mess caused by the synch: "The Dangers of Synchronized Folders" https://www.lightroomqueen.com/synchronize-folder/   If I'm understanding correctly, 16k images of your 42k were seen as missing, and so "duplicate" entries for their new location were put into the catalog.  I'm not sure why it was only 16k.  I think your next step is to try to intelligently ascertain whether all your files were restored retaining the old file structure, or whether they became divided. Hopefully with more information we can see if you can delete these duplicate entries easily, and then easily relink your previous good catalog entries by pointing to the topmost pertinent folder in the catalog Lightroom – Relinking Folders on an External Drive « Julieanne Kost's Blog (ignore "external drive" in that discussion - your C: drive is your new "external drive, if that makes sense)

I know this is confusing, but if you can sort out and easily remove the duplicates from the catalog, you might be halfway home. Also, I'd wait for others here to confirm my approach or suggest something better/easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Joefry. I will need time to work on this and, as you suggest, any other ideas that are posted.

roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gentlemen,

I am on my way to untangling the mess thanks to your guidance. I am almost there, but before I take the next step I want to check with you.

I was able to delete the duplicate images using a program called Duplicate Cleaner. The free version did the job.

I have also copied and renamed the Previews and Settings and Catalog folders from my backed up copies, the ones prior to my crash.

Now on my C drive are the following folders

*Lightroom Catalogs

**Lightroom DB along with the subfolders

**Lightroom A DB The “A” was added to distinguish these folders from the ones above.

***Backup A

***Lightroom A Catalog Previews.lrcat

***Lightroom A Settings

***Lightroom Catalog

I also have the “A” version of these folders on my External drive J.

I have no problem running LR using the folders on my J drive. The catalog there works with the J drive Folders.

The problem I have is when using the C drive (my goal). I can open the C drive Catalog, but the Folders shown are for the J drive, not the C drive Folders. How can I get the C drive Catalog to link to the Folders on the C drive? (All of the image files are on the C drive as well, but none of the folders show up when using the Catalog currently on the C drive.)

I used various ways of copying and renaming the folders when moved them from my backup drive to my C drive. Perhaps I did something the wrong way and some links were broken. I most appreciate any thoughts and suggestions you may have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confess to having a hard time following this.  The most problematic part: "used various ways of copying and renaming the folders". Lightroom has no problem relinking your new image locations if the original folder structure is preserved on down through the subfolders. Drive letter doesnt matter!  Parent folders (if any) above your target folder and children doesnt matter! Once you get this right, all you have to do is link up your top-level folder that has a "!" in Lightroom with the correct "new" matching parent folder wherever it is on whatever drive, as explained here: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

On the other hand, if your structure is now unrecognizable because of "various ways of copying and renaming", it's going to be a mess to untangle until you get it straightened out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2017 Jul 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem I have is when using the C drive (my goal).  I can open the C drive Catalog, but the Folders  shown are for the J drive, not the C drive Folders.  How can I get the C drive Catalog to link to the Folders on the C drive? (All of the image files are on the C drive as well, but none of the folders show up when using the Catalog currently on the C drive.)

This is all explained in the link I gave. You have to tell Lightroom that instead of using the folder on the J: drive, you must tell LR to use the appropriate folder(s) on the C: drive. The link explains how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2017 Jul 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I finally had the confidence to try this out and it worked.  I just had to figure out how to re-direct to the correct folder on my C drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines