Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop opening voice tag .wav files

New Here ,
Jul 02, 2017 Jul 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I'm a professional photographer and I use the voice tag function on my dslr (it records a short audio .wav file and pairs it to the photo so when I'm editing I can listen to the file and go "oh yea, number 14 in the third quarter" or whatever) to to make my captioning and selecting process easier in Photo Mechanic.  However, when I drag my photos in to photoshop to tone them the .wav files that attach themselves to my .jpgs open as separate files in photoshop. 

Anyone have any ideas on how to stop the .wav files from opening when I pull in the jpgs from photo mechanic? 

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2017 Jul 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jpeg files do not support layers or audio.  It sounds like you opening an unsupported file formats that has an extension .jpgs.

Supported file formats in Photoshop

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .wav files aren't layered in with the jpgs they're just paired with them in Photo Mechanic.  So when I view them in photo mechanic they only show that little microphone.Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 4.40.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-05 at 4.42.33 PM.png

But when I drag the photos into photoshop to tone them it also opens up the audio files, so I get this^  Which I would very much like to avoid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ryany88760915  wrote

The .wav files aren't layered in with the jpgs they're just paired with them in Photo Mechanic.  So when I view them in photo mechanic they only show that little microphone.

But when I drag the photos into photoshop to tone them it also opens up the audio files, so I get this^  Which I would very much like to avoid.

If they are not layers in a psd file what is in your jpg file? How are your jpeg files paired with the wave file. Does some Photoshop third party Plug-in or Photoshop script add some data to your document's background layer or documents metadata?  If so how has it in added in? In the Background Layer, in metadata, or somplace else. If it is data Photoshop does not add or support why would Photoshop look at it, Know where to look or how to decode or parse it.  As far as I know Photoshop does not support .wav file but seems to open them as a video group. Like your timline shows.  Somewhere  in your jpeg file there must be some kind of link to wave files that Photoshop seems to know how to follow.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's anything that complicated, JJ.  When I record a voice tag on my camera it just makes a small .wav file with the same name as the jpg.  It looks like this in the finder view.Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 5.28.18 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If nothing is in the jpeg file about the wave file how could Photoshop open the wave file.  Photoshop would not know that the wave file exists or should be opened or is associated.  Something must be in the Jpeg file or you are dragging more then a just a raster image from Photo Mechanic your dropping two files onto Photoshop

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines