• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question mark on cache SSD drive

Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2017 Jul 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to use a separate SSD for cache, but every once in a while, after restarting my PC, the drive has a question mark on it and can not be used. I know it has to do with AE because it started just when I set it up as a cache drive.

I'm not sure how to test it further and couldn't find any info online. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody can tell you anything without exact system info or other technical details. Presumbaly the drive is simply unsuitable and you have damged it with your cache use, so it's too busy re-organizing and repairing itself.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mylenium,

What kind of system information do you need? Sorry, I'm coming from Mac so it's a bit new to me.

Here's what I thought might be relevant:

• Windows 10
  • Intel i7-4770 3.4GHz
  • Disk - 128G (Samsung SSD 830 series) NTFS - Disk manager says it's healthy)

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need a larger drive for the cache.  How full is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The disk is completely empty. I installed it solely for caching AE. It's 128G but I set it for 80G on AE preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Would you use the SSD as one partition?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@peru Bob thanks, I set it up now and will report in the coming days.

TokyoHowl​ it's one partition

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn, that trick didn't work Still facing the same problem, getting a question mark on the cache drive.

Any other suggestions? Mylenium​ Peru Bob​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the SSD is USB, try using a different port.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2017 Jul 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a USB. I connected it instead of a DVD drive I had. Perhaps this is where the problem is? That the motherboard is expecting a DVD and not a drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi roey.tsemah,

Are you still facing this problem? If not, let us know how you solved it. If so, please let us know so we can assist you further.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin-Monahan

No, couldn't figure it out. I'm thinking maybe I installed it wrongly on the motherboard, but I'm not very technical (transitioning from Mac).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure what you mean when you say you connected it instead of a DVD drive.   Where you've mounted the drive doesn't matter as long it's plugged into an appropriate MB connector. Most likely an available SATA connector.   Anyway you said sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, right?  If that's true then I would guess there's a connection issue.  I would try replacing the current connecting cable with a new and fabulous connecting cable.  If that doesn't work try connecting it to different SATA port if one is available.  After Effects forum might not be the best place to try and find an answer as it seems like a straight hardware issue.  Try the harware forum Hardware Forum 

Or some other hardware forums like Tom's Hardware Forum

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines