Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Consistently crashing when updating cross references across a book

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2017 Jul 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a book (indb) over 8 files. I recently moved some sections around in one of the books.

Now I cannot use the update cross references function from the book - it always crashes. I can provide a macOS crash report. The thread stack points pretty conclusively at the hyperlink library: com.adobe.InDesign.Hyperlinks

I am using CC on a Mac. The files are in dropbox. I share these files with a windows user.

What can I do? Is there a way I can use to find the corruption? Or a workaround?

Cheers

Geoff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using CC on a Mac.

Which Mac OS, exactly? (Apple > About this Mac)

Which InDesign version, exactly? (InDesign CC > About InDesign)
InDesign CCss_001.png

Have you tried storing the files locally and not on dropbox? Does that make a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mac: 10.12.5 (16F73)

CC: 2017.1 release, 12.1.0.56 Build

I can't move the files off dropbox  because then all the inter-file cross-references will break. Cross references use absolute file paths, not relative paths, which is very inconvenient. The files are effectively pinned in pace (I suspect it is possible to write a script to correct them, but I haven't looked deeply into that). Is there such a script?

By using the cross-reference pane I was able to find and repair some of them. Even if I can fix them all that way and that fixes the crashing problem, it is still the case that InDesign should not crash when it encounters a dangling cross-reference - it should give a good message and then stop trying to update them.

Cheers

Geoff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines