• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OCR and embed fonts

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I need to OCR AND embed fonts. I have Acrobat Pro DC. The 2 actions seem to be mutually exclusive. If I get my fonts embedded (e.g. through using distilled or saving as PDF/A, then OCR undoes the embedding. If I do OCR first, I am afraid I am losing the OCR when I then embed the fonts. i don't know how to check that but document resolution does seem to go way down. If I do a second OCR step, I identify new text that needs fixed. What should I do?

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> OCR undoes the embedding

Certainly. If you can OCR at all after making a PDF containing actual text - most versions of Acrobat refuse to do so - then your entire page is turned back to bitmap for OCR. Everything to do with fonts, all vector graphics, are lost. This is not something to be done late in the process or on only part of a page.

> If I do OCR first, I am afraid I am losing the OCR when I then embed the fonts.

OCR embeds fonts if it needs to. You do not need to do it later and may cause damage or find it impossible. When you OCR with hidden text, no fonts needs to be embedded because it is invisible; PDF/A and PDF/X recognise and allow this special case.

> If I do a second OCR step, I identify new text that needs fixed. What should I do?

OCR once. OCR only scanned information, not anything else. OCRing just graphics in a page is not a practical proposition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! Very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines