Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export animation from InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I made an animation in InDesign and now want to export it. I can only export it as an SWF file, but the website I want to use it on only accepts GIF. Can somebody help me, how do I export the file with the animation to a GIF?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Updated answer 2020: You can use the in5 plugin to do this!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru , Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

here is the link to making an animation and exporting it to a .gif from indesign using this paid plug in.

https://ajarproductions.com/blog/2019/10/11/how-to-create-an-animated-gif-with-indesign-in5/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is er een manier om het als een ander bestand te exporteren en om te zetten naar GIF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nee, de weg naar een GIF vanuit InDesign is niet mogelijk. Het kan naar HTML5 (via Publish online of FXL ePub) maar een 'bestandje' met de animatie kan alleen in SFW...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Photoshop to create an animated GIF

Also, if you have a recent version of InDesign (2015/1027) have a look at Publish Online - with this you can create documents with animations, and more, and imbed a link to them on your web site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should have checked here BEFORE doing all that work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnx Bob, so very helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’re welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, why is it that InDesign cannot export an animation that Photoshop can open?

I'm sorry, but that is plain stupid. Forcing people to create their animated GIFs totally in Photoshop is one more reason not use Adobe products.

At least give Media Encoder the ability to take the SWF or FLA file and covert it to MOV. So, instead of creating a nifty animation in InDesign to convert to an animated GIF, I will use a non-Adobe product — in this case, Keynote — to do just that. Yeah, I end up using Photoshop to do the conversion from MOV to animated GIF. But maybe I will be looking for other non-Adobe solutions as well.

@Adobe — You keep saying you are improving products for the users, but you are not. There's this problem. Plus there's the problem of not fixing the chart tool in Illustrator for over 20 years. C'mon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a common request.

But you're talking to the wrong people. It's product managers who decide what features to include. They won't read this forum but they'll read your feature requests here:

Feature Requests/Bug Reports

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Steve. I will put in the request. And my expectations are that Adobe will ignore my request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Paul+Bunyar  wrote

So, why is it that InDesign cannot export an animation that Photoshop can open?

For the same reason a wrench makes a lousy screwdriver. You want a GIF? Use Photoshop...it's right tool for the right job. InDesign is not. In short, just because you have a hammer does not make the entire world a nail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got to completely disagree with that analogy here Bob. Why have a software where you can create an animation and then not be able to export it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can export an animation (an animation in a document) from InDesign if you use InDesign's Publish Online -- that's the way, does that help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can export it! You can't export it to a GIF.

Just because you have a hammer the whole world is not a nail. Use the right tools for the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's completely the point. Here'a a cool feature, but sorry you can only embed the link into a website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated answer 2020: You can use the in5 plugin to do this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is the link to making an animation and exporting it to a .gif from indesign using this paid plug in.

https://ajarproductions.com/blog/2019/10/11/how-to-create-an-animated-gif-with-indesign-in5/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can export an animation in InDesign if you go to File>Publish Online. Then go into the advanced settings and select GIF, then InDesign will publish your GIF in your Publish Online Dashboard and provide you with a link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might have been a solution before, but I just tried it with ID24 and an animated object is not an animated GIF in Publish Online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello? Adobe? 

Can you please add this functionality? We would like to simply export an animated and interactive PDF from Indesign without paying a third party to do so. This does not seem like a tall order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not own the PDF specification anymore and animations within PDFs are not planned by the PDF Consortium.  You can export InDesign documents with animations and interactions using the free InDesign Publish Online facility.

(You are not addressing Adobe on this support forum, it's staffed mostly by volunteers.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might not seem like one to you, but Adobe does not own the PDF specification and cannot just add animation as a feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know this is an old thread, but another option could be to do a screen capture of your animation in Publish Online, bring that into Photoshop, then export an animated GIF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines