• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How To Unmute Video Under Editing Source Panel?

Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My video under Editing Source Panel is muted.  On the left panel where video can be trimmed, that video is muted and never has been before.  How do I unmute it?  Sound plays fine on the right preview panel.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post a screenshot to see which sound is actually muted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

premiere-sound.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post another screenshot that shows the audio tracks also?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

premiere-sound-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite clear what you did but if you want the sound back.

Place cti over clip in timeline and hit F (match frame)

This will give you the original souce clip from the project window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's odd.  I have to hit "F" every time for sound to appear in the left panel now.  That never was the case before.  That worked by the way, but I have to hit "F" for every video clip I trim.  Strange behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the preferences:

FAQ: How to reset preferences in Premiere Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If resetting the prefs doesn't help,..

Have you tried clearing all cache and temp files, both system-wide and Premiere-project-wide? I don't have a concrete answer for you but quite often clearing those files fixes odd problems with symptoms like this...

For clarity, I do something like the following...

1. Even though your issue is not directly performance related, any cache cleaning suggested by FAQs or whatnot might be helpful... i.e., FAQ: How do I speed up rendering, exporting, or encoding?  from https://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/faq_list
  2. I use each Adobe product's Preferences panel to clear any media/caches from the app perspective, meaning I start Bridge, clear its cache, start Photoshop, clear its cache, start Premiere, clear its cache, AE and so on. This step is probably not required, could go right to the next one, but I personally like to do this, seems friendlier.
  3. In Premiere Pro, I clear any previews for sequences using its menu options. i.e., Sequence/Delete render files.
  4. IMPORTANT: Before proceeding to the following steps, make sure all projects are backed up and don't accidentally delete any project or important data folders... the following are only talking about temp/cache folders. Also, I use Recycle Bin instead of forced delete on the following just in case (i.e., I use Delete key not Shift-Delete in Windows Explorer to opt for Recycle Bin usage if possible... this is usually the default choice... I bet it is for Mac too).
  5. Exit all Adobe apps, manually clear/delete files in cache folders. I get the cache folder locations from the each app's prefs... I kinda know them by heart now as I relocate all Adobe app caches to a place like C:\AdobeCaches. Even with that relocation, I go back to the default place and clear those out (like C:\Userrs\<username> ... etc.) ... I am Windows, so I use Windows Explorer to do this manual work. I think Mac folks use Finder.
  6. I go into the folder where troubled Premiere Pro project is located, such as C:\MyVideoProject\Premiere or whatnot... and then I delete both "...\Adobe Premiere Pro Video Previews" and "...\Adobe Premiere Pro Audio Previews" ... AGAIN, do not accidentally delete something irreplaceable. At your own risk with any manual deletions! You can learn more about deleting these files by searching for "Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files" site:adobe.com Note that the folder name changed but I find more results with the older single folder name hence my use of "Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files" ... Note2, if you delete these previews, your next open of the Premiere project will have to conform and render... I generally find this to be a non-issue but just beware, always save to back up a project if you're uncertain.
  7. Restart Premiere Pro and load troubled project... re-try and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks to me you are not far into the project.

Make new one and start over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sound on the left video panel would always play.  It's muted on ALL my video projects right now, not just this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Peru Bob & Ashley - thank you!  Resetting Preferences seems to have corrected this audio issue in all Projects.

Ann Bens:  Thanks for your assistance.  Just to be clear, this is an old practice project, I was having this issue in all projects; old and new regardless of length.  I greatly appreciate everyone's timely response in resolving this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines