• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't move folders to external drive - Mac

Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To free up internal drive space, I need to archive the last 6 months of work - roughly 20k photos organized in dozens of folders by month/day and project for a client. A pretty complex file system I have to keep intact.

Each month's folder is structured like this:

January

01-01

Project 1

Capture

Master

Output

Project 2

Capture

Master

Output

01-02

Project 1

Capture

Master

Output

Project 2

Capture

Master

Output

...etc

I've added the external drive to LR and created a folder for 2017. When I try to drag the Folder from January (located on my internal drive) into the newly created 2017 folder (on the external) from within the Library module, the new folder is highlighted when I hover over it. But when I let go to complete the drag & drop, the folder bounces back to the original position. It's like LR is rejecting that move. However if I try to move just the "Capture" folder, it'll take it. I can't go through and manually recreate that entire structure, it would take hours.

Any explanation or work-arounds for something like this. I really need to both clear up internal hard drive space AND keep my file heirarchy intact.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 04, 2017 Jul 04, 2017

If you do a move in your operating system, then in Lightroom right-click on a folder with a question mark, the command is "FInd Missing Folder"

If you do a copy instead of a move, then it will read "Update Missing Folder"

All of this is explained in detail at Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders​, in particular see Figure 4 and associated text.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Move the Folders with Images in them using the Mac File Manager program "Finder". Then in LR use the "Update Folder Location" for the Now Missing folders and images to their new location on the external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2017 Jul 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you do a move in your operating system, then in Lightroom right-click on a folder with a question mark, the command is "FInd Missing Folder"

If you do a copy instead of a move, then it will read "Update Missing Folder"

All of this is explained in detail at Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders​, in particular see Figure 4 and associated text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines