• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transparency files in InDesign

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is It possible to save a file that has a transparent background and place it in Illustrator?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

are you asking if an INDD file can be placed in Illustrator? I don't think so, no.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export to PDF, but I’ll bite…why are you doing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply.  I had exported it as an .eps and placed it to Illustrator but the background was white. Then I saved it an an .png,but the colour mode is RGB not CMYK.

The reason for this is my colleauge designed the graphics for a packaging in InDesign (arghh). I have recreated it in Illustrator but she had these graphics that was a rectangle box with a colour to transparency gradient, drop shadow and in the effect box had a gradient feather, which is not a feature in Illustrator.

So I thought I thought i would leave it in Indesign and see if I could export it and place it into illustrator.

I have attached some images.

An images sits behind this and you can see the image through the transparancy

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 15.19.18.png

This one goes underneathe so an .eps is fine

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 15.19.36.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 15.20.47.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eps files don't have transparency, and PNGs can only be RGB, so yeah, PDF...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Doug, Thanks for that I will export it as a PDF. Do you know if Illustrator can do this gradient feather?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as i understand it, that's just a gradient with one or more stops transparent, which illustrator can certainly do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For instance in Illustrator, I create a retangular box and put a gradient fill in green on one slider its 100% opacity and the other end is 0% opacity.

Then I add a drop shadow underneath, the colour isn't the same and I lose the green transparency, but it doesn't happen in Indesign as you saw from my previous images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't know which objects have that applied in your images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was to a rectangle, but it could be any shaped object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is an object in illustrator with a green-green gradient where one end has zero opacity, then a drop shadow applied. is this not what you expect?

drop1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use EPS that will flatten the transparency—you can see the stitching artifacts in you captures. Export to PDF/X-4 and place that in AI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

I will try that too, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why not just place the illustrator graphic into the indesign layout you already have. you are working backwards if you want to created in indesign and place into illustrator.

just my two cents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2017 Jul 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go back to my orginally posting, the graphics were done originally in InDesign and not Illustrator and its an effect in InDesign in the Gradient palette.

My reason for re-creating this in Illustrator is that InDesign itsn't the software to use when creating packaging files with graphics etc, its a multiple page application (like Quark). It just make my life easy for me and others if it need editing in the future. I just hate it when my ex-colleagues designed in InDesign (

I just hate it when my ex-colleagues designed in InDesign (argghhh)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you asking if an INDD file can be placed in Illustrator? I don't think so, no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can place a file in Illustrator.

Export as PDF/X-4 and in Illustrator File > Place …

Only link the file, never embed or open it.

Another way since CC 2017 is to use CC Libraries. Select all items you want to use in Illustrator and add them to a CC Library. From there you can use it in Illustrator or Photoshop or …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That you Willi,

My original question was about recreating a graphic that was done in InDesign in Illustrator from scratch and not about placing an image from InDesign to Illustrator. But your relpy is noted like the others for future reference, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines