Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing lighting gradient from a JPG

New Here ,
Jul 04, 2017 Jul 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Illustrator/Photoshop CS6.

I found a texture pattern online that I really like online. It's a JPG image from an older iPhone background. The problem is that there's a light effect shining on the image. I'd like to back that out to just have the pattern. I've made various attempts with Adobe Illustrator to convert the image to vectors -- I thought maybe I could get it to just trace the lines by telling it there were only 3 colors in the image, but that didn't work out. So in Photoshop, I've tried a few different filters, but I haven't found one that essentially deletes a gradient overlay.

Here's the image I'm wanting to cleanup:

http://im5.leaderhero.com/wallpaper/20140212/2f9dc0ab-a.jpg

At the end of the day, I'd like a flat version of that graphic that I can tile. A vector render that I can scale would be even better. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jul 04, 2017 Jul 04, 2017
  1. Duplicate the layer twice.
  2. Select the first copy. Filter-->Blur-->Average
  3. Select the second copy (top most layer). Filter-->Other-->High Pass
  4. Use a high setting. Play around with this value. (If you need it live, convert this layer to a smart object first - recommended)
  5. Change this layer's blend mode to Multiply
  6. Add a Levels or Curves to control the brightness
  7. Optional: select the first copied layer, and change the colour with a colour overlay effect for different coloured versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny... I tried to select the specular highlight and then do Content-Aware delete. It didn't a good enough job, but I was surprised at how close it got!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  1. Duplicate the layer twice.
  2. Select the first copy. Filter-->Blur-->Average
  3. Select the second copy (top most layer). Filter-->Other-->High Pass
  4. Use a high setting. Play around with this value. (If you need it live, convert this layer to a smart object first - recommended)
  5. Change this layer's blend mode to Multiply
  6. Add a Levels or Curves to control the brightness
  7. Optional: select the first copied layer, and change the colour with a colour overlay effect for different coloured versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines