• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC refuses to open, it only beachballs

Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried everything under the sun it seems to get photoshop cc 2017 to open and not hang or crash.

My symptoms are as follows: On my mid-2012 pre-retina MBP (the i7 13" one, 16gb of ram), which is running the last version of el capitan (10.11.6, I haven't upgraded to sierra yet-- last clean OS install was el capitan in october 2015), I attempt to open photoshop, and it hangs. It says it's usually loading multiprocessor support and it basically throws the beachball (horrid please wait cursor). This all started when I ran out of startup disk space yesterday (on my startup disk, the 500gb ssd that came with this computer) so I shuffled around files, made room, however because of how hung photoshop was, it became a zombie application. By zombie application, it hangs, which then precipitates into a secretive crash when I force quit it. ~However~, force quitting it doesn't always nuke it from the force quit menu. Therefore according to the finder and the dock, it considers photoshop to be OPEN and currently hanging and "not responding". I pop open Activity Monitor, and it appears that photoshop is in fact NOT OPEN. Aka I can't nuke it from behind the scenes because it is actually not open, But, if I tell my mac I want to log out or reboot or shut down, it will time out and refuse to shut down or log out or restart because it sees that photoshop is open and it can't quit it. So I end up having to force my mac to shut down using the power button, which is not good.

The following I have already tried:

• Yes, I made sure I was up to date. Latest photoshop and lightroom cc installs, I do believe I have the latest for my graphics card (which is the integrated intel 4000 graphics since it's a mbp), and I know I'm one major OS install behind, but I'll let those other people work out the bugs in sierra and for my other 3rd party software stuff to be updated so I can use it in sierra.

• Yes, I tried using the killall function in the terminal to nuke the dock and finder to let it clue in that photoshop cc is not in fact open, but didn't work.

• changed my scratch disk to an external 128gb flash drive (one of those samsung fit flash drives) that was completely empty. Seemed to work for a bit and then it won't do it.  It now automatically beachballs upon opening.

• ran some functions in Onyx, repaired permissions, cleared caches (which has relieved some of my previous woes, not this time though)

• I booted into single user mode and ran fsck a couple of times (basically file system check, what disk utility does without the interface), and after some hard shutdowns it needed it. It mentioned something about Pci pause Sdxc something or another so I have my eyeball on that in case that is a contributing factor.

• I trashed the prefs file (because even 25 years later we're still getting corrupted preference files on a mac it seems), and I was able to open photoshop once earlier today and do a significant amount of editing. After this? nope. Not going to happen.

• Now it doesn't tend to do the zombie application problem (where some apps think it's running and will time out a reboot, while other apps don't see it as running), now if I force quit it it automatically crashes and doesn't tend to leave it in the force quit menu. I'll take any progress I can to not force restart my mac using the power button. But I'd rather if I can actually use photoshop like I intended to. I mean, I'm paying for it.

• I've tried to hold command-option down to change the scratch disk on startup, at one point in time it let me, and now it won't, it hangs.

• I've even reset my PRAM and no bueno. Ran a hardware test and no dice. Ran etrecheck and didn't turn anything noteworthy up. Even ran font doctor to see if any of my fonts got corrupted and that's a no (it was worth a shot, microsoft in particular used to be super-angry about corrupted font files in the day so I've seen it crash stuff before).

• Tried to hold down shift to start photoshop in safe mode, no, it won't let me, it hangs.

• I swear I'm forgetting a few more things but I swear I tried just about everything short of a reinstall (which I'm dreading), but will do if it requires it, as I've already tried just about everything short of a sacrifice to the gods repeating solfège backwards with a glass of water on my head.

Please help.

EDIT: I went to my backup user account (just a spare user account I keep with admin privileges for troubleshooting reasons) and I WAS able to open photoshop in that user account, so it's something that is particularly wrong with my default user account. So this is a software issue of some sorts that is located in my user account.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 04, 2017 Jul 04, 2017

Hi annaj,

We really apologise for the trouble you are facing with your Photoshop application.

As you mentioned

EDIT: I went to my backup user account (just a spare user account I keep with admin privileges for troubleshooting reasons) and I WAS able to open photoshop in that user account, so it's something that is particularly wrong with my default user account. So this is a software issue of some sorts that is located in my user account.

There must some permission issues on your existing user and t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Photoshop General Discussion​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 04, 2017 Jul 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi annaj,

We really apologise for the trouble you are facing with your Photoshop application.

As you mentioned

There must some permission issues on your existing user and that's why Photoshop working fine in other backup user Or it could be some admin rights issue with your existing user account causing this issue.

Therefore, we would suggest you create altogether new admin account on your machine with full admin rights and use Photoshop and other applications there for better results.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines