• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How send an Indesign Package from my Mac to a Windows guy?

Participant ,
Jul 04, 2017 Jul 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My InDesign Windows friend said he can't open my InDesign CC 2017 Package on his computer.

My fonts aren't recognizable.

Thank you,

Morty

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 04, 2017 Jul 04, 2017

It is impossible to use Mac fonts on Windows. You’ll need to switch to OpenType fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, normally if it to the same version, no problems to open the Indesign document. But what fonts are used? There are restrictions on the fonts used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it's not an InDesign question. That's about platform based fonts compatibility.

Short (and not at all detailed) answer could be:

To be on the safe side you should use OpenType fonts (those with OTF file extension). These are truly cross-platform.

Mac TrueType fonts only work on the Mac, while Windows TrueType fonts work on Windows and Mac. However, Mac TrueType fonts can be converted to the Windows version in order for it to work in Windows.

There are some other types you should avoid, like Data fork TrueType Suitcase (fonts with .dfont extension), etc. Windows won't read this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is impossible to use Mac fonts on Windows. You’ll need to switch to OpenType fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything that has been said already is true.  I work in a large pre-press and we keep one MAC workstation available to use because we have clients that send their labels in laid out on the MAC platform and they have MAC fonts in their packages which we can't use on the PC workstations.  Personally I think we have things backwards at work.  I think we should all be working on MACs and maybe have one PC workstation in the corner for PC related issues.  But that is beside the point.

Assuming the guy you are sending the file to does not need to edit any of the text you could convert all the text to outlines before packaging it.  This would eliminate the font issue.  There are people who will say that you might lose a little quality.  I personally believe that while that may be true it is not enough to be able to discern with the naked eye.  Just my humble opinion.

Using OpenType fonts will resolve the issue as well regarding the crossing of platforms.  But you probably don't want to buy new fonts.  I get it.

Good Luck!

Randy, The Print Craftsman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A LITTLE quality?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's your friend replacing fonts on his PC and make a new package for you.

Since InDesign for Mac OS can use Windows fonts you will can work on the same document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To expand on JR's response. If you place Windows TrueType or Type 1 fonts into the InDesign fonts folder, InDesign will be able to use those fonts.

However, I do not recommend it. Those fonts cannot be installed in the operating system and you do need to check on the licensing requirements. OpenType is a far better solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OpenType is a far better solution

I agree. I threw all my old fonts a few years ago and now I use OT fonts only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines