• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recreating an effect from a Take That concert.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

This may be an absolute long shot, but I am wondering how I can recreate this 'effect' in the following pictures, to images of my own.

Im wanting to be able to do the gradient lines (which I imagine i'll apply a gradient, or brush and place lines on top afterwards to create the effect) but also separately on other images, create the 'pixelated' look on the gradient.

I know how i'll separate the skin areas and desaturate them, my main issue is how i'll get the clothed areas to look the same.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Carl.

IMG_7510.JPGIMG_9395.JPGIMG_9418.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Hi

1. Make a small gradient and save it as a pattern (Edit Define Pattern)

2. Fill a layer with that repeating pattern and save it as an 8 bit image. This will be used as a displacement map

3. Mask the clothing layer

4. Add a layer and paint with colour - set this layer blending mode to color. Now add a displacement mask moving vertically only and using the previous pattern filled image as the map

5. Add that same gray pattern, used as the displacement map, above the image and set blending mode to mu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Filter Clouds (with black and white) and a Gradient Map Adjustment Layer may help, though additional transformation may be necessary.

And naturally some masking.

simulateEffectStriesColorsScr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

1. Make a small gradient and save it as a pattern (Edit Define Pattern)

2. Fill a layer with that repeating pattern and save it as an 8 bit image. This will be used as a displacement map

3. Mask the clothing layer

4. Add a layer and paint with colour - set this layer blending mode to color. Now add a displacement mask moving vertically only and using the previous pattern filled image as the map

5. Add that same gray pattern, used as the displacement map, above the image and set blending mode to multiply and opacity to around 70%

6. Add a layer with face and arms masked and clip a black and white adjustment layer and curve clipped to it

I hope that helps to get you started

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I guess I did not understand what the OP actually meant …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Between us we have hopefully given enough for Carl to get started and take it further .

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for your help, I expected to be checking this post in three months time and for it to have no replies. I especially didn't expect two answers within hours of me posting.

Both answers are very detailed and easy to follow, what I do know on Photoshop is self taught, so some of the references go over my head but I imagine a simple Google search will help clarify.

Thank you both again, I really appreciate the help.

Best regards.

Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carl

Try it step by step and come back and ask if you get stuck or don't understand any of the steps

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

i have had no interactions with Masks until now,

after applying them, my layers segment doesnt look like yours, im also convinced that my masks are not fulfilling the same roles as yours are,

do you have any tips on where i might be going wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It looks like you have been cutting out rather than masking. To mask you make a selection then got to Layer - Add Layer Mask - Reveal selection.  Where the mask is white the layer shows - where it is black the layer becomes transparent. You can see the masks next to the layers in my screenshot.

The second type of mask is seen in my top two layers. See the little downward arrow? That indicates a clipping mask. You do that by Alt-Clicking on the border between the layers. Once done the upper layer only applies to the solid pixels on the layer below.So in my example they both only affect the face and arms layer.

Looking at your gradients - I am not sure that you have applied the displacement map.

So expanding step 4 in my previous post:

4a. Add the color layer and change the blending mode to color.

4b. Right click the colours layer and choose Convert to Smart Object

4c. Go to Filter - Distort Displace

4d. Enter the vertical displacement as 20-30 and the horizontal as 0

4e. When asked for the map - got to the image you saved under my previous step 2

I hope that helps . Keep trying and asking - it is the way to learn

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it may help you further if I showed what the various layers do.

1. The background is just black

2. The face and arms and the Clothing layers are the same image with different masks to show different parts of the image

3. The colours layer is just painted colour. The blending mode is set to color so the luminosity of the shirt below will still show through

However the displacement filter has moved the pixels in line with the patterned gradient used as a map

Adding the Pattern layer on top - set to multiply darkens the image with that patterned gradient - emphasising those vertical movements

Putting those layers together :

At the top we have the face and arms :

Adding the black and white and curves - clipped to the face and arms layer gives this :

Put it all together :

I hope that helps you

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for the clear explanation,

i had no idea about snapped curves to layers etc,

im much more pleased with my second attempt!

If only i could make myself happy with my colour placement lol.

thanks again!!

As you can see i duplicated the colour layer for a more intense colour, as the 'clothing' layer was mostly white, having the 'colour' layer set to a 'colour' blend it was more subtle than i wanted. I know on darker bases this wont be necessary however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Carl

You're welcome.

Rather than duplicating the color layer due to the underlying layer being too light, you could have added another curve clipped to the clothing layer below and used it to darken that layer.

No rights and wrongs though - there are many ways to get results in Photoshop.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines