• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

tab skipped following a text-wrapped image

Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have paragraphs set up to indent their text and they begin with a number, which is indented enough to accommodate two digits. By itself, this works fine. However, if the paragraph follows a text-wrapped image, the first tab, which is aligned right, is skipped. In the picture below, the 2 should align under the 1, but its tab is skipped and it's shifted to the right. Is there a workaround for this bug?

image_indented.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way that I was able to duplicate what is happening to you was when I used a soft return after the #1 paragraph. I am also assuming that your paragraphs are formatted as "bullets" which would explain why they perform this way when a soft return is used instead of a hard return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It would have been great to post your screenshot with hidden characters. Unfortunately, we can only throw guesses.

Here's one: Maybe you just inserted two tabs before para #2?

Now, let's forget your specific problem and let's try to think differently:

it looks like you have manually added the numbering, with a tab before and a tab after.

It surely isn't the best way to proceed: it's time-wasting and can generate numbering mistakes.

I suppose you did set up your paragraph that way because you wanted to right align the numbering and thought it was the only way.

Possibly you were not aware there is a very simple way to use numbered paragraphs AND to right align numbering!

Here's it is:

Set your paragraph style as numbered, and choose Number/Bullet position > Right Align (Aligner à droite in the example below).

Set up left indent to choose the position where numbers must be aligned on their right hand side.

See example:

Sans-titre-1.jpg

Sans-titre-3.jpg

Hope that helps ^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you made the text intent to low. It should be as wide as the image wrap is pushing the text to the right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no soft returns, just regular paragraphs, so why you can't reproduce this is a mystery. I have it set up as follows:

left indent, 1p3

first line indent, -1p3

right tab at 0p10

left tab at 1p3

This allows the text to line up and the numbers to be kicked off to the left.

I tried playing with the bulleting mechanism as suggested, but it doesn't work at all. The tab value gets altered automatically depending on what I enter for the left indent, so I cannot get text on the second and subsequent lines to line up with text on the first line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I set the numbering to

left-indent, 1p3

first-line indent, -1p3

tab at 1p3

Then the text becomes aligned, but the numbers become left-aligned, not right-aligned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2017 Jul 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrapping!?

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mauricev1  wrote

There are no soft returns, just regular paragraphs, so why you can't reproduce this is a mystery.

Hi Maurice,

Vinny has already asked you to post a screen shot with hidden characters. I am asking for a little more.

1. Show Hidden Characters
  2. Click an insertion point (type tool) in the text
  3. Show the Tabs panel
  4. Take a screen shot

As Vinny said, without enough information, we can only guess. When you provide partial information, it can indeed be difficult to reproduce the error. Thank you for your assistance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go.

screenshot_of_hidden_characters.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your problem seems to be happening because of the extra right tab you're setting at 0p10. If you eliminate that as you said it aligns but you lose the right alignment of the numbers. If you were to set the first line indent to -0p7 (or any number that works) you should be able to at least give the appearance of the numbers being right aligned. You may have to adjust for certain numbers being naturally wider than others and would have to set another first line indent when you get to double digits but at least you will be able to maintain correct alignment for your text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines