• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bullet point effecting the text that follows.

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here is a screenshot of what I am dealing with. Basically when I ad text under the bullet by click shift enter, it indents the text. So I highlight it and turn off the bullet. The issue is that it then effects the last Bullet "Compare Rate Plans."  Why does this occur? How do I fix this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Why are you using soft returns? Use a real return in combination with multiple paragraph styles.

What you're seeing is exactly what I'd expect to see given your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you using soft returns? Use a real return in combination with multiple paragraph styles.

What you're seeing is exactly what I'd expect to see given your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shift-Return? Why??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't sure how to start the next line without a bullet other than that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully you are using paragraph styles, and if not, put learning them on your list of important features in InDesign.

Assuming you are not yet using styles, just put your text cursor in a paragraph, switch to the Paragraph view of the Control Panel and click on the Bullets button. It's a toggle to turn bullets off or on the selected paragraph. (Bonus tip: if you hold the Alt/Opt key as you click, you can edit how the bullets look.)

InDesign CCss_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brendand8449955  schreef

I wasn't sure how to start the next line without a bullet other than that way.

By applying the same Paragraph Style of course 😉

If you don't know how you really need a basic training in InDesign...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur with Frans. At the very least buy this book: InDesign CC: Visual QuickStart Guide (2014 release): Sandee Cohen: 9780133953565: Amazon.com: Books

It is by far the best beginner book out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do use styles and your advice did work. I tried doing it before and it didn't work. I'm assuming that is because I was using Shift Return. I'm embarrassed, that should have been obvious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I realize this is an old post however something needs to be pointed out here. When someone comes on here looking for advice, they do not need to be admonished for lacking a skill set they've never been taught. Things like "you should have," "You need basic training then," and "Why didn't you," absolutely do not help. I am shocked by the responses in some of these threads. Everyone is at different levels of learning and speaking to them in such a way inhibits curiosity or the want to learn further. Look at OP's last response, "I'm embarrassed." People should not feel ashamed on here. Learn to be helpful without shaming people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines