• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export Post-Processing not working as expected

Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2017 Jul 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a post-processing action that I use to create some data using Exiftool which I then use as input for another application.

This used to work fine with Lightroom 5.7 on Mac OS 10.10 but stopped working after I upgraded to Mac OS 10.12.

I have recently upgraded to Lightroom 6.10 to try and get it working but it still doesn't work correctly.

In my Export preset I have Post-Processing set as:

After Export: Open in Other Application

Application: /Users/andrewtj/Desktop/diveexiftool.sh

/Users/andrewtj/Desktop/diveexiftool.sh is as follows:

for i in "$@"

do

/Users/andrewtj/atj.com/atj.net.au/diveexiftool.sh "$i"

done

/Users/andrewtj/atj.com/atj.net.au/diveexiftool.sh is as follows:

F=$1

G=${F##*/}

rm ${F%/*}/DiveEXIF/${G%.*}.exif

exiftool -d "%d/%m/%Y %H:%M:%S" -@ "/Users/andrewtj/atj.com/atj.net.au/exiftool.arg" -w %d/DiveEXIF/%f.exif "$1"

open -a Preview $1

If I run /Users/andrewtj/Desktop/diveexiftool.sh from Terminal with the appropriate parameters it works perfectly:

* the old .exif files are deleted

* new .exif files are created

the .jpg files created in the export are displayed in Preview

However, when I do the export and the Post-Processing runs /Users/andrewtj/Desktop/diveexiftool.sh I only get

* the old .exif files are deleted

the .jpg files created in the export are displayed in Preview

exiftool does not appear to run and no .exif files are created.

I can't work out why it is behaving differently.

Note that the way I have it set up has some history and it was the only way I could get it working with earlier versions of Lightroom.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

I gave you absolutely the wrong answer. I repeated a misremembered factoid without checking, which I discovered when I went to investigate the behavior of previous versions.  Very sorry for that -- I hate it when others do this, and I hate it more when I do.

I just tried this sample script action.sh as an export action, and it worked just fine after marking it executable with "chmod":

#!/bin/sh

(date; echo $1 $2; echo $PATH) >> /users/john/desktop/action.txt

It produced this output:

Wed Jul  5 13:28:

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mac, a post-processing action has to be a proper OS X application, not an executable or shell script. You can make such an application from your shell script using Applescript -- make a droplet that responds to files being dropped on it via the "on open" handler.  See here for a few more details: Re: Help!! Export Post process action does not fire!

Alternatively, you can buy the Run Any Command plugin, which lets you run a shell command line as an export post-processing action.

On Windows, it's a lot simpler -- the post-processing action just runs an executable with a command line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When did Adobe remove support for shell scripts in export post-processing and why did they remove it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave you absolutely the wrong answer. I repeated a misremembered factoid without checking, which I discovered when I went to investigate the behavior of previous versions.  Very sorry for that -- I hate it when others do this, and I hate it more when I do.

I just tried this sample script action.sh as an export action, and it worked just fine after marking it executable with "chmod":

#!/bin/sh

(date; echo $1 $2; echo $PATH) >> /users/john/desktop/action.txt

It produced this output:

Wed Jul  5 13:28:22 PDT 2017

/Users/john/Desktop/06-09-2012_SFA_SC_TWT_I00010001.tif

/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

The last line points to the likely cause of the problem.  On my system, the default location that ExifTool installs itself is /usr/local/bin, which isn't on the value of PATH used by LR:

Johns-MacBook-Pro-3:Desktop john$ which exiftool

/usr/local/bin/exiftool

So your scripts could either add the location of "exiftool" to PATH or they could just use a fully qualified pathname, e.g.

#!/bin/sh

(date; echo $1 $2; echo $PATH; /usr/local/bin/exiftool -ver) \

>> /users/john/desktop/action.txt

which works correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That was the problem.  Thank you very much.

I thought it might be PATH related but a) I couldn't think why Lightroom would be using a different PATH from what I got by default in Terminal and b) couldn't think of a way of checking the PATH that Lightroom used in the Export action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines