Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Kontur um ganze Zeile – outline around whole line of text

Participant ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Liebes Forum,

mit Absatzlinien oder -Schattierungen kann man ja prima arbeiten. Was aber, wenn ich ein Inhaltsverzeichnis mit einer Outline um jede einzelne Zeile laufen lassen möchte (Siehe Beispiel in Zeile 1 des angehängten Bilds)? Hat jemand eine Idee? Ich habe bereits an verankerte Objekte gedacht, habe jedoch zahlreiche Dokumente mit großen Inhaltsverzeichnissen vom Kunden vorliegen. Wie könnte man ID überlisten?

Besten Dank für Eure Ideen,

Ralf

ID CC 2017.1 auf MacOS 10.12.5 (Sierra)

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Dear Forum,

working with paragraph options or shadings is a nice thing to to work with, but what if I need to draw an outline around each single line of text within an index (see line 1 of attached screenshot)? I considered using anchored objects, but my client gave me lots of documents with long indexes. So, if anybody comes up with a charming work-around, I'll appreciate a lot.

Thanks for your input,

Ralf

ID CC 2017.1 auf MacOS 10.12.5 (Sierra)

Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-06 um 10.08.45.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

You can also create a Paragraph Style using Paragraph with Rule above or below, each with different size so you have a "box effect" but you can avoid anchored object.

I add screen shot for better understanding. I apologize for italian interface 😉

Schermata 2017-07-06 alle 17.09.28.pngSchermata 2017-07-06 alle 17.09.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert it to table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your idea, winterm. I think I'd prefer working with anchored objects though, since converting to table might end up in more work. But I'll give that a try also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Convert it to table and work with cell strokes.

Converting to text to table, is pretty easy. Create table in Adobe InDesign

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thx Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indexes are meant to be updated when the source files are edited, so we shouldn't edit the indexes because we lose those edits when we update. This is the argument to discourage your client from adding these boxes.

That said, the table option is one avenue, the other, is as you said, anchored frames. It sounds like you are already familiar with anchored frames, but let's make sure you know the quickest workflow:

1. Draw the unassigned frame over the text.
    InDesign CCss_006.png
  2. Select the frame with the Selection tool, then Alt/Opt drag the anchor box to the beginning of the first line (outlined in orange above). Press Enter/Return to close the Anchored Object Options dialog box. The frame anchors in that position to that line and will move with edits.
    InDesign CCss_007.png
  3. The boxes be removed when you update your index, though.
    InDesign CCss_008.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx a lot, BarbBinder, thats exactly the way I used to solve this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also create a Paragraph Style using Paragraph with Rule above or below, each with different size so you have a "box effect" but you can avoid anchored object.

I add screen shot for better understanding. I apologize for italian interface 😉

Schermata 2017-07-06 alle 17.09.28.pngSchermata 2017-07-06 alle 17.09.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi michelad19794771

thank you for posting your solution.

May I assist with some screenshots from a German InDesign?

I think Ralf is using a German version.

This trick using Rule Above and Rule Below works best with single line paragraphs.

And since "[Paper]" color of Rule Below is obscuring the color of Rule Above there should be no drawing objects behind the text frame.

BoxedSingleLineParagraph-1.png

BoxedSingleLineParagraph-2.png

BoxedSingleLineParagraph-3.png

BoxedSingleLineParagraph-4.png

It could take some time to get the numbers right, but I think it's worth the effort.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a galaxy, far far away! … where no need anchored frames or para rules tricks! 

Just InDesign and ParagraphBorder!

Capture d’écran 2017-07-06 à 21.02.21.png

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx for pointing me to ParagraphBorder. May the force be with you, Obi-wan Kenobi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grazie, michelad19794771, very interesting solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You welcome!  😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Laubender, glad to learn from you guys. Awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everybody for your helpful input. I've just set up the paragraph style with upper and lower rulers. This is indeed a very smart work-around and works charmingly well. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. I appreciate a lot.

Best wishes, Ralf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines