Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use smart objects to edit specific layer path

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have recently downloaded a template from Yellow Images of an item of clothing and have been designing some items of clothing using the template.

What I cannot seem to get my head around is how to setup on my own templates, a smart object like the one in the layer highlighted in my screenshot at 16.33.08, titled 'FRONT', which then links to the 'Rectangle 2.psb' [smart object] file which is essentially a flat 2D image where you can just edit the pattern.

I understand about the shadowing on the top layer, but would love to understand how the 'FRONT' layer on the main *.tif file links to the *.psb file titled 'Rectangle 2.psb' and how it actually updates the main *.tif file.

For example if I had my own template drawing of a hoodie, how would I setup the body, sleeves, etc. to work in the same way as this?

Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 16.33.00.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-05 at 16.33.08.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Hi

A smart object is effectively a "container" layer. When in the main document it looks like just another layer that can be blended, masked etc. However double clicking it opens up a psb file which contains the layer(s) making up the smart object. On editing, then saving the psb,  the layer in the main document will be updated.

The psb is saved inside your main document. (There is a type called a linked smart object that can be updated when a document outside of your main document is saved - but

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

A smart object is effectively a "container" layer. When in the main document it looks like just another layer that can be blended, masked etc. However double clicking it opens up a psb file which contains the layer(s) making up the smart object. On editing, then saving the psb,  the layer in the main document will be updated.

The psb is saved inside your main document. (There is a type called a linked smart object that can be updated when a document outside of your main document is saved - but that is not what you have in your example above.)

So to create your own, make up the contents using normal layers/ shapes/adjustment layers etc . Highlight those layers in the layers panel and right click. Then from the menu choose "Convert to Smart object". Those layers will now appear in the layer panel as a single smart object (with the small folder symbol indicating that the layer is a smart object).

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines