Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying from Illustrator and Pasting into InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I am working on Adobe CC 2017 on a Mac in InDesign and Illustrator and I am trying to copy the Die-line from Illustrator into Indesign for a packaging project as it is easier to mass produce in InDesign.

I am having an issue when I copy a vector based die line from Illustrator into InDesign. InDesign will end up placing it as a graphic instead of a vector, therefore I am unable to place my artwork under the die line to see where my folds and cuts will be.

I have been having this issue over the last few weeks and have not been able to find a way to be able to manipulate the vector any longer, be it adjusting the die line, or simply changing the color of a section of the vector. I will have to go back into illustrator to adjust, then copy and paste it back into InDesign repeatedly until it is correct.

Is there a simple fix to being able to paste actual vectors into InDesign like I was able to previously? Or is this a recent update that I will have to learn to work around?

Thank you for the help.

S

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Moved from Comments forum to specific Program forum... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

In InDesign: Edit > Preferences > Clipboard Handling.

Before copying from Illy, make sure all checkboxes in Clipboard section are unticked.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign: Edit > Preferences > Clipboard Handling.

Before copying from Illy, make sure all checkboxes in Clipboard section are unticked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response Winterm, but this does not work. I unchecked the boxes in the Clipboard section, but Indesign still pastes the vector from Illustrator as a pasted graphic and I am unable to manipulate any anchor points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, that may have worked. I unchecked everything like you said and when I pasted it didn't work, although when I turned it back on, it worked. May have just needed reset or something? Thanks for the assistance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Usually, the trick is what I mentioned in the first post: before copying from Illy.

If you copy, then paste, delete what pasted, change clipboard options and try to paste again - it won't work.

You need to go back to Illy and copy a 'fresh' copy.

Whatever, glad you worked it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines