Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Low resolution

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

im having trouble with indesign, im new to it and I'm having trouble with an image. So ive designed a picture and the text and all other small images are coming out great when I export it as a jpeg but the background photo, which is much bigger, is coming out awful. I've tried changing the resolution from 75 to 150,200 and 500 on photoshop and it looks exactly the same when exported. I've tried looking online for an answer but nothing seems to be working. Please can someone help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign? Is it just a Display Performance issue? (View > Display Performance > High Quality).

(And FYI, you don't need to convert to JPG. You can place the native Photoshop .PSD in InDesign.)

If it isn't Display Performance, select the image in InDesign and open the links panel. What are the numbers for Actual PPI and Effective PPI?

InDesign CCss_012.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried changing the resolution from 75 to 150,200 and 500 on photoshop and it looks exactly the same when exported

That would be expected, increasing the resolution of a low resolution image would not improve its quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using Barb's image as an example. If the original were to be downsampled for some reason (web use?), or simply didn't have enough res to start with, increasing res in Photoshop wouldn't repair the damage caused by the downsample.

Here both images have the same high Effective res 374ppi but different quality appearances:

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 7.53.27 AM.png

On the export to JPEG the quality difference remains:

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 7.54.37 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines