Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Warp Stabilizer VFX can no longer be applied to an adjustment layer

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to frequently use the following technique in After Effects:

1 - apply Warp Stabilizer to footage in a comp (reversible stabilization)

2 - add other elements on top of the stable footage

3 - copy-paste the Warp Stabilizer effect from the moving footage layer onto an adjustment layer to restore the original motion (reverse stabilization)

The technique, demonstrated in this video by Chris Meyer: After Effects and mocha AE: Screen Replacement (skip to 5:20), no longer works. I now get an error that says "Frame not analyzed for reverse stabilization." Why? This used to be a very reliable method for adding elements to handheld footage.

AE Version 14.2.1.34 (CC 2017.2) on OS X 10.11.6 on a Mid 2012 Mac Pro

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

checking back on this thread. I just discovered that this is not a codec issue but a duration issue. if you trim the comp to the duration of the footage and precomp it, this is supposed to work. credit goes to Иван Тифанов  here: When I attempt to copy and paste Warp Stabilizer to the pre-comp, it says, "F...

please check if that fixes the issue with your compositions

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

transcode the footage to lossless and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an excellent work-around! Thank you Roei Tzoref​!​​!

For the record, I've discovered that the problem stems not from the codec (DNxHD 36), but the way that the media is wrapped and used in the comp. I originally imported the media via AAF, so the comp contains a QT reference movie linked to an MXF file. If I use a stand-alone QT, it works perfectly, regardless of codec.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for sharing, this also happens with some mp4 containers as well. lossless seems to solve this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

checking back on this thread. I just discovered that this is not a codec issue but a duration issue. if you trim the comp to the duration of the footage and precomp it, this is supposed to work. credit goes to Иван Тифанов  here: When I attempt to copy and paste Warp Stabilizer to the pre-comp, it says, "F...

please check if that fixes the issue with your compositions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny. I tried this several times, but never with the "Adjust composition duration to the time span of the selected layers" box checked. It works if you do, and doesn't if you don't. The explanation you linked to seems to be correct—that is, only when Warp Stabilizer sees the two durations as identical does the technique work. Thanks for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I tried this several times, but never with the "Adjust composition duration to the time span of the selected layers" box checked. It works if you do, and doesn't if you don't.

this makes sense because the whole purpose is to create a duration that perfectly matches the in-out points of the layer. no matter how you do it, it has to be a trimmed duration for the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines