• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to import an HTML into RoboHelp?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2008 Oct 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I figured instead of importing in an Excel spreadsheet (since not all users would have MS Office and may not want to download any viewer apps) that maybe I could save it as an HTM file (as Excel allows multiple or single HTML file generation) and then import that HTM file into my project. I've done the importing...only problem is that it does not appear on my topics list. So, I created a new topic for it, and attempted to cut and paste the code generated from the Excel transformation into the new topic, but this has gone horribly wrong.

Is there any way to display this Excel-generated HTML file into my project? In case it matters, I am using RH7 and MS Office 2003. Also, the Excel file has 10 worksheets.

Thank you!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi TabbyW

How exactly did you "import" the HTML? Normally when you import content it automatically appears in the Topic List.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello TabbyW -

From Excel, export each worksheet separately as HTML - give each a different name but save in the same location.

Open your RH project.

Import each of the HTML worksheets from their saved location into your project - they will show up in the project root folder (see Project Manager View).

Create a new topic, give it a title, insert several (at least three) carriage returns (put in some blank line), add it to your TOC.

Return to PM view and open the first imported worksheet file. The spreadsheet will be "enclosed" - select the entire "enclosure", copy, open the newly created topic, go to next-to-last blank line and paste the table.

Repeat as need.

Delete the imported HTML worksheet files from your project (using RH to delete, not Windows Explorer!).

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK..

I tried your suggestion, GEWB, but when you paste, you lose the text formatting, which is a pain to edit for each of these 11 worksheets EVERYTIME they update the spreadsheet (about once a month). But, at least you've given me an alternate solution, in case too many folks complain about not having Excel.

Thanks so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2008 Oct 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be able to overcome lost text formatting with a style sheet. RoboHelp HTML has built-in support for style sheets. You can create one or many. If the table formatting is relatively simple (e.g., a particular font face or size throughout the table), you can set a style for the entire table. If the formatting is complex, a style sheet is less likely to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Tabby -

As my sig implies - can't get there from here.

You are formating in the cells of an Excel spreadsheet and you really expect to export>import into HTML and retain the formating? Not going to happen (not even in Word).

If it is that important to keep the cell formating you should create a PDF and just hyperlink to the PDF. Keep the sheet name the same version-to-version so all you do is upload the PDF file - no need to change links.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Yeah, I'm beginning to think you're right. I was just hoping I could be proven wrong - it just seemed like there should be a easier way, since Excel can get you half of the way there by generating HTML code. And I don't like how the PDF version paginates - it's like 34 pages! Oh well! Thanks for your help...all of you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp