• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR CC Crashes frequently with large folders

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a folder with about 3000 photos in it.  Most are HDR (5 bracketed shots each).  I have edited several hundred of them.

Frequently, when I go to Develop from Library, LR crashes on this folder.  It is fine with my smaller folders.  I am creating the HDR images using Photomatix Pro (using Export), and then stacking the images that make up the HDR bracketed series.  LR also frequently crashes after stacking or unstacking the photos.

I looked at creating subfolders to break up the large set, but a warning message implies that my edits will no longer be fully accessible if I do this.

Any suggestions would be welcome.  I am running Win 10 Home 64 bit and have an Intel i7-4790 processor and plenty of memory (32GB).  When LR crashes, it has not been using high CPU or very much memory.

-Herschel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

This error message is slightly mis-leading. What it really means is that the moving of files cannot be simply undone by the Ctrl+z keypress or any 'undo' menu command.

It does not mean you will lose edits or anything else you have done with the images in Lightroom, as long as the move is done by Lightroom within the catalog folder panel.!

Moving the files outside of Lightroom could mean lots of work re-linking them 'one-by-one' in the library,  although Lightroom can offer to find missing "nearby

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are the files/folder stored?? How are you trying to break up the set??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files are stored on an internal hard drive.  I tried to add subfolders to the folder within LR where the 3000 images are so that I could separate the images into different locations on my shoot.  I got a message that if I do that I would no longer be able to edit them (or something to that effect).  I assume that means that it would either lose the edits that I made or freeze the edits.

I am assuming that it is related to the size of the folder.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the exact word-for-word error message? Do you get this message from LR or your operating system?

If you move photos properly, you won't lose edits. The proper method is described in this document (see the section entitled "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location) Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Message is from Lightroom.  I'm not at my desk right now, so I will follow the link and get the actual message wording shortly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2017-07-07_17-12-28.jpg

Here is the message... 

What I did was to create the subfolder "North Rim" and selected the photos to place in that subfolder and dragged them to the subfolder. I got the message above.

Here is the file structure

2017-07-07_17-14-52.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I move the image files outside of Lightroom and then do a locate, will that preserve my edits and the ability to go backwards in the edits?  I don't want to mess anything up.  I will definitely make a backup of the Library first, to assure that I can recover.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error message is slightly mis-leading. What it really means is that the moving of files cannot be simply undone by the Ctrl+z keypress or any 'undo' menu command.

It does not mean you will lose edits or anything else you have done with the images in Lightroom, as long as the move is done by Lightroom within the catalog folder panel.!

Moving the files outside of Lightroom could mean lots of work re-linking them 'one-by-one' in the library,  although Lightroom can offer to find missing "nearby images" when you re-link one file in its new folder location.

So you can move the files in Lightroom by making a selection and dragging them onto the new folder- {North Rim}.

Some rare reports occur from time-to-time where people have lost images when they move very large numbers of image file, so I suggest you keep the numbers of each selection just sufficient for the smaller folders you are creating.

All that being said- I cannot say that splitting images into smaller folders will have any beneficial effect on the Lr 'Crashing' problem. The Windows OS must surely be able to handle many more files in one folder then you have. You may have to look further if the crashes continue.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hjrweintraub  wrote

If I move the image files outside of Lightroom and then do a locate, will that preserve my edits and the ability to go backwards in the edits?  I don't want to mess anything up.  I will definitely make a backup of the Library first, to assure that I can recover.

Yes. You lose nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to have lost my edits in the copied images.  The original folder still has all of the edits.  Outside of LR, I created a new top level temporary folder, then copied the images from the original folder to several subfolders under the temporary top level folder.  I then did a synchronize within LR.  I had to re-add my keywords, as they were not there (they were folder-level keywords at this point).

The copied images are all there, but the edits are not.  I have a fair number of Photomatix Pro HDR files.  I had stacked them with the images that were used to create them.  The stacking is not present in the copies.

The original folder is still as I left it, with all edits and the stacking.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to "Rain on your parade" , but what you have done is not correct.

To do anything like Import or Synchronize is the wrong thing.

You only needed to  select and drag the photos in the Library grid ( IN LIGHTROOM ) onto the other Folder- simple as that.

Import or Synchronize create completely NEW entries in the catalog database with nothing from your previous edits.

You say- "The original folder is still as I left it,.."  if that is the case, I do not understand how you managed to get them into the catalog a second time- Lightroom usually prevents duplicate references to the one image in the catalog.

I think we need to see some screen-clips of your folders now to get a better idea of how to fix.

The correct method would be all done  IN LIGHTROOM-

1. Right-click the 'large' folder (D7200..........) and choose the menu item "Create a folder inside D7200..........."

2. Select and drag the photos from D7200..........  onto the 'new' folder (ie. North Rim or others created)

3. Done!

And have a look at the video tutorials here-

Clean Up Your Files and Folders in Lightroom | Laura Shoe's Lightroom Training, Tutorials and Tips

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2017 Jul 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I checked the troubleshooting at Adobe and it indicated that the AMD graphics driver from Microsoft broke Lightroom.  I turned off the use of the graphics processor and it doesn't seem to crash anymore.

I had originally done the "correct method" and LR still crashed.  But since it seems to be the AMD driver from April 23 or 24, all seems OK now.  Why I have not had the issue for the last few months is a mystery, unless Microsoft just downloaded the April driver in the last week or two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines