• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which gtx 1070?

LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The prices for GTX1070's w-8GB vRAM at Newegg are all over the place, $375 to $1150.

Any specific suggestions?

Neil

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all the video cards from the gtx 1060 and up are being bought out by crypto currency miners. so the best one to get is whichever you can find for a decent price, around $400. you might even look at the gtx 1080's if you can find one of them for close to $500 vs an overpriced gtx 1070.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hokay, thanks ... didn't know if it made much difference as to which card, surprised at the amazing array of prices.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there isn't alot of performance variance from the nvidia chips themselves, but the cooling system can make some difference in how well they can turbo up frequencies. a two or three fan design will help keep things cool, but will also dump all the hot air inside the pc case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoninEdits  wrote

all the video cards from the gtx 1060 and up are being bought out by crypto currency miners. so the best one to get is whichever you can find for a decent price, around $400. you might even look at the gtx 1080's if you can find one of them for close to $500 vs an overpriced gtx 1070.

OK, so that got me to actually Google how bitcoin mining works, and it seems to me, that the answer is only just.  I found one guy running an 11 GPU system, but he said he was waiting for the delivery of a further 16 GTX1060s  He probably has $10,000 of hardware, but as things stand, he is making $12 to $25 a day (minus whatever the power costs to run it all).  Actually, I guess that is a bit over a year before he was into profit.

From what I understand, the first person to solve a 'mathematical puzzle' gets the reward, but that guy with his 16 GTX1060 is up against ludicrously over the top rigs like this!  And the value of the coins they mine is falling.  Maybe this will lead to a more sensible state of affairs regards computer hardware supply.

Central Wash. Home To Nation's Biggest Bitcoin Mine, More Coming | KNKX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read through that article and comments ... um ... wow ... what people throw money at in hopes of the Big Score ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/R+Neil+Haugen  wrote

Read through that article and comments ... um ... wow ... what people throw money at in hopes of the Big Score ...

Neil

I thought it had the ring of a pyramid scheme, and that was reflected in the comments.  The massive overheads include constantly upgrading hardware because if you are not competitive regards solving the ever more complex puzzle algorithms, then you end up with zero return on your hardware, and apparently very significant power bill, investments.  The article in Central Wash link talks about tens of kilowatts for 'hobby' miners, and that would have to be 24/7 — i doubt there will be any bitcoin miners here in NZ with the cost of our electricity!  I can't say that that POV was backed up by other comments I found though.  ISTM that if you are constantly upgrading then there would be lots of previous generation GPUs to be had, but from what I read, comparatively low end GPUs are becoming 'more' expensive and not cheaper.

Actually I am being simplistic there, because the GPU shortage is so serious, I imagine people are being forced to use whatever they can actually buy, and would be pleased and relieved to get hold of a GTX900 series GPU for their new builds.  It's a crazy state of affairs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just amazed. A few months ago, there were tons of Nvidia GPU's at the $300 to $450 price range.

Huh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2017 Jul 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is evident that now is not a good time to buy a GPU.  Wait a couple months for:

1. Unproductive Bit Coin Miners to try to get rid of surplus and/or older models
  2. I imagine every GPU manufacturer seeing this market and rushing an overload of product to market.

Neil, if and when you do plunge for only $20 to $30 more I believe in the Super Clocked models to get the best quality components which assist in the simple, safe and free overclocking of the Memory Clock to improve CUDA performance  .  Also here is the EVGA site which has 14 GTX 1070 models shown and shows the manufacturers list prices and you can check a box to be auto-notified when they are available again and buy it right from the manufacturer.  I would also recommend their ICX-9 models now which have more temperature sensors   Also I have not checked this recently but I believe they have a trade up program and right now they do have 4 GTX 1070 B-Stock units available for immediate shipment (no ICX-9 versions)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bill!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) there is little to suggest the mining craze will slow down in a couple of months. even if some unproductive miners get rid of stock, those cards will be bought up by other miners.

2) many gpu mfg's are making mining specific cards now to cash in on the craze. that means the inventory of nvidia chips that could have gone to normal cards is also competing with these mining versions. unless they ramp up production on both versions, we might still see shortages. on the other hand, if someone doesn't mind attempting using a mining card with a normal card, they might be able to get a new mining card for cheaper.

3) the superclocked brand from evga appears more like a base model with factory overclocking applied, yet you say they have the best quality components? have you confirmed they have use the same components and design as evga's higher teir cards? (hint: they don't.)  when you consider these as safe to overclock are you also including the regular superclocked cards, which had faulty components and several blew up when overclocking? do you know if the evga cards offered in the trade up program are the bad models that had faulty parts and poor design? given the recent fiasco with evga's cards, why only recommend evga when there are other quality mfg's?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well let's see what happens. I have used the Step-up program very successfully a few years back an no then do not pawn off less desirable models they are brand new models that you pick out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no answers huh... i hope you have more to say about your recommendations than "let's see what happens".  talk about leaving someone out to hang... and your experience of using the step-up program is no guarantee that Neil's experience will also be good and he won't get one of the recent troubled evga cards. which yes, troubled models are listed on that evga step-up website.  i think the trade in or step-up program has changed, it says its only for certain purchases within the last 90 days?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2017 Jul 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imagine you'll have all see the recent articles on Tom's Hardware

7th July 11am

Ethereum Mining Frenzy Leads To German Graphics Card Shortage, Retailer Pulls Cards

7th July 3pm

The Ethereum Effect: Graphics Card Price Watch (Updated)

And 16 minutes later

All Eyes On Graphics Card Shortage, Few Answers Forthcoming

I don't even think the card makers know what the heck is happening, so we can hardly expect Bill to have all the answers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2017 Jul 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fascinating. Mining ... The Ether ... a nebulous non-thing ...  

(But other people who believe in non-things might buy it ... wow! Get rich selling non-thing!)

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines