Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resize photo to exact size

Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've been asked to resize a photo to an exact size. How can I resize a photo that is 6300px wide and height 4205px to a width of 1000 px (height not specified) and 500kb?

Thanks for any help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

That's correct. And because of that, I assumed that 500 kb was the maximum.

In addition to the answers above, you can crop to a specific width, height and resolution, but there isn't an option to specify the file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Choose Image > Image Size. Choose the desired width and settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and 500kb?

Note that in Barbara's image, the file size (shown on the top line) is still 1.91 MB.

What format will you need to output? I'm guess a web-compatible format since you are measuring in pixels. If you are saving it out as a JPG or PNG, the built-in compression of those formats will likely get you there. You can see the size of the file before exporting it with File > Export > Export As. The size appears in the left column. In the right column, you can experiment with JPG and PNG, and note that JPG has variable compression with a Quality range of 0-100. (The lower the number, the smaller the file, but you are looking for a balance between file size and clarity of the image.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thamks for the replies but they don't give 500kb as the exact size. Probably thinking there's no way to produce an exact image size

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct. And because of that, I assumed that 500 kb was the maximum.

In addition to the answers above, you can crop to a specific width, height and resolution, but there isn't an option to specify the file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd use File > Automate > Fit Image if there is one critical maximum dimension, then enter the target size of 1000px into both fields to correctly handle landscape or portrait originals.

File > Export > Save for Web (legacy) can attempt to save to a target file size using the menu option "Optimize to File Size"... However this will not retain image quality, as file size has been stated as being more critical.

S4W.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2017 Jul 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your replies. Much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2017 Jul 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We are always happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines